Homemade marble pound cake is a great, dense, made-from-scratch cake that’ll take care of both your chocolate and vanilla cravings all at once.
This is a great base for an ice cream sundae, to be cubed up into a trifle, or just served with some chocolate on top. This post first appeared over on Chocolate, Chocolate, and More, where I’m a contributor. I loved it so much though I wanted to share it with all of you here too. I hope you enjoy it!
I just love pound cake because it is such a versatile dessert. You can even grill pound cake. Yup. It happens. And it is awesome.
Traditionally pound cake gets its name from including a pound of butter, sugar, flour, and eggs. Obviously that has now changed since the pound cake was originally created back in the 1700’s, and it is more about the texture than exact ingredient proportions.
This cake is sweet, and dense, and full of flavor. The chocolate is kicked up a lot by using Malted Chocolate Milk mix, such as Ovaltine’s Chocolate Malt powder. It is my kids’ favorite, and I thought that it would make an awesome addition.
The topping is totally optional on this cake. If you do want to pipe on some ganache, I use the ganache portion of this recipe, cooled down a bit, and then piped onto the top of the cake.
There are so many great varieties of pound cake! There are buttermilk pound cakes, which I totally love, and unique pound cakes like a strawberry swirl pound cake. But even with endless possibilities, I hope that you’ll try out my marble version!
Hungry for more chocolate? Me too. Check these out while you’re at it!
Homemade Marble Pound Cake
Caramel Filled Brownies
Chewy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
3 Ingredient Chocolate Cheesecake
Amazing Marble Pound Cake Recipe
This homemade pound cake is a great addition to any table. Get the best of both worlds and make it homemade. It is easy, and you're whole family will love it!
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup powdered malted chocolate milk mix, like Ovaltine
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about five minutes. Slowly add in the flour, and mix to combine. Don't over-mix!
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Slowly add into batter and mix just until combined. Remove 1/3 of the batter from the bowl, and put into a separate bowl. Mix in the chocolate milk mix until well combined.
- Place the vanilla batter into a tube pan that's been prepared with baking spray. Spread out evenly in the pan. Place spoonfuls of the chocolate batter all around the top of the vanilla batter. Use a butter knife to swirl the chocolate into the vanilla. Tap the pan several times on the counter to distribute batter and eliminate any gaps.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then invert onto serving tray.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 6g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate. If you are tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!
Toasted Coconut Cake Recipe » Or Whatever You Do
Thursday 22nd of December 2016
[…] Marble Pound Cake Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Poundcake Blueberry Pudding Lemon Cake Chocolate Sour Cream Coffee Cake No-bake Cherry Cheesecake Fluff Pie […]
Thursday 23rd of June 2016
This cake is making me drool and tear up at the same time! LOL If only I could have carbs I would be making this in a heartbeat!
Friday 24th of June 2016
Oh man. I would cry over carbs too, girl!!