These chewy cookie bars are SO easy to toss together, and I totally found my new favorite quick dessert for a crowd, get-together, pot luck, or last-minute school function.
Chewy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
I have to just get it out there right away. All credit for these goes directly to Buns in My Oven and her old church cookbooks. I also have a love for old church cookbooks, so I can totally relate here. Also, I love her, and this blog. Karly’s story is amazing, and her blog is so entertaining! I could go on and on, but instead I’m going to direct you over to her blog, and make sure and check out her episode of the Chopped Podcast ! It was wonderful! While you are at it – her Instagram is pretty awesome too.
But these cookie bars? These are a treasure that she found buried deep in that church cookbook! And one I’m holding onto for dear life. They are FAST to throw together, which I totally love.
Cause you guys know I am ALLLLLLLLLL about fast and easy these days. We don’t do desserts all that often around here, and when we do it is usually for a Sunday family get-together, or a special occasion of some kind. Occasionally if I have something laying around from the blog we’ll do a treat after dinner, but I just have zero time to put together a dessert after trying to get something hot and edible on the table for the kids for dinner. Why is it between 4-7 is like the CRAZY hours for babies? I should periscope sometime what after school time until the babies go to bed actually looks like around here. It will be titled – “So you think you want 7 kids, huh?”
I jest. It IS crazy around here, but I kind of thrive on crazy. If that means less complicated and time consuming desserts for a while I’m totally fine with that. Especially if it means I get these more often.
- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal, NOT quick cooking
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups browned butter, cooled
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (you can do all of one or the other if you'd like, but I prefer this combination)
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients together except the chocolate chips until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread into a 9x13 pan that's been lightly sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs on it. They'll look a little under from what you are used to!
Recipe source: Buns In My Oven
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 531Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 467mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 3gSugar: 38gProtein: 7g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate. If you are tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!
Need something to serve before the dessert? You’ll love these!