These chewy cookie bars are SO easy to toss together, and I totally found my new favorite quick dessert for a crowd, get-together, pot luck, or last-minute school function.
Chewy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
I have to just get it out there right away. All credit for these goes directly to Buns in My Oven and her old church cookbooks. I also have a love for old church cookbooks, so I can totally relate here. Also, I love her, and this blog. Karly’s story is amazing, and her blog is so entertaining! I could go on and on, but instead I’m going to direct you over to her blog, and make sure and check out her episode of the Chopped Podcast ! It was wonderful! While you are at it – her Instagram is pretty awesome too.
But these cookie bars? These are a treasure that she found buried deep in that church cookbook! And one I’m holding onto for dear life. They are FAST to throw together, which I totally love.
Cause you guys know I am ALLLLLLLLLL about fast and easy these days. We don’t do desserts all that often around here, and when we do it is usually for a Sunday family get-together, or a special occasion of some kind. Occasionally if I have something laying around from the blog we’ll do a treat after dinner, but I just have zero time to put together a dessert after trying to get something hot and edible on the table for the kids for dinner. Why is it between 4-7 is like the CRAZY hours for babies? I should periscope sometime what after school time until the babies go to bed actually looks like around here. It will be titled – “So you think you want 7 kids, huh?”
I jest. It IS crazy around here, but I kind of thrive on crazy. If that means less complicated and time consuming desserts for a while I’m totally fine with that. Especially if it means I get these more often.
- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal, NOT quick cooking
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups browned butter, cooled
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (you can do all of one or the other if you'd like, but I prefer this combination)
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients together except the chocolate chips until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread into a 9x13 pan that's been lightly sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs on it. They'll look a little under from what you are used to!
Recipe source: Buns In My Oven
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 531 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 100mg Sodium: 467mg Carbohydrates: 62g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 38g Protein: 7g
Need something to serve before the dessert? You’ll love these!