These caramel filled brownies did not disappoint. I didn’t even have to break out my mixer to make them.
Caramel Filled Brownies
One thing I’ve found with brownies is this – the better the chocolate the better the brownie. You might be tempted to scrimp and use any old chocolate for this kind of baking, but don’t do it. Use the best you can find and you’ll be grateful.
What kind of brownies do you love the most? Cakey or fudgey? I like a brownie solidly in the middle. Not too much on one side or the other. These reminded me of a Rollo in brownie form.
I also found a really cool product that I’ve never seen before that made these way easier to throw together. Kraft Caramel Bits are little unwrapped balls of caramel that melt really really well for desserts like this. I LOVE that. I think that real caramel works and tastes so much better in baking than any of the caramel sauces I’ve ever tried, but I hate spending time unwrapping candies one by one.
- 1 cup salted butter
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate melting discs, or a bar chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 11 oz Caramel Bits
- 1/8 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13" non-stick baking pan well with baking spray. If it isn't a pan in really good shape, I highly recommend lining the pan with non-stick foil or parchment and then spraying.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave safe dish and microwave at 50% for 1 minute. Stir, and continue to heat in 30 second bursts at 50%, stirring between sessions, until melted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture until combined. Add flour and stir until combined.
- Scoop half of the brownie batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the brownies are baking, place the caramels and cream into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes, and then stir well until caramel is fully melted and combined.
- Pull the brownies out of the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Pour the caramel over the brownies, and gently spread it out evenly over the pan. Spoon the remaining brownie batter over the caramel layer, and spread evenly. This doesn't have to be perfect, just try and cover the majority of the caramel.
- Bake for 15 more minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 2gSugar: 56gProtein: 5g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate. If you are tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!