Chicken Mushroom Wild Rice Skillet
I’m going to share with you the recipe for the Chicken Mushroom Wild Rice Skillet I whipped up the other night. If you like wild rice, you will love this dish. A few things to note. Make SURE you don’t overcook your chicken. Just barely brown the outsides, and then let it cook the rest of the way in your skillet. Remove from heat as soon as the pink is gone from the center.
MORE PASTA RECIPES COMING YOUR WAY!
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken better than bouillon
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice, measure before parboiling, parboiled
- 1 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 pound asparagus, washed, stemmed, and chopped into pieces
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Quickly brown in pan, and then remove. Brown mushrooms and onion. Add chicken back into pan, and sprinkle everything with thyme, onion powder, garlic salt, and white pepper.
- Add cooking sherry, water, better than bouillon, parboiled wild rice, and uncooked orzo. Simmer gently over low to medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 6-8 minutes, or until orzo becomes tender.
- About 3-5 minutes before the orzo is done, add chopped asparagus on top of skillet, cover, and let steam in skillet for remainder of cooking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 545 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 84mg Sodium: 741mg Carbohydrates: 67g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 8g Protein: 34g