Mushroom Meat Sauce is a fantastic way to get more mushrooms into your diet. Your family won’t even notice the mushrooms chopped up and combined with the meat in this great, budget-friendly meal.
Spaghetti with Mushroom Meat Sauce
Oh yum. That’s almost all I can say about this spaghetti with mushroom meat sauce. Blending mushrooms into the ground beef is a great way to incorporate some more mushrooms into your diet without sacrificing any flavor. It also does a pretty good job of “sneaking” the mushroom flavor into a big batch of spaghetti even with picky kids around who don’t “like” mushrooms…that they can see. Muah ha ha ha ha.
You have to be a bit of an evil genius when you are feeding so many kids. There is never a meal that ALL 7 of them will like, and some nights I don’t even get a majority. Kids, man. I tell ya what.
This recipe was a hit all around though, and one that I make regularly. You can substitute your favorite kind of mushroom into this if you’d like. It doesn’t have to be criminis.
Are there any add-ins you love for your spaghetti sauce? I’ve really started liking adding a 1/4 cup of diced red bell peppers into the mix. It adds a subtle bell pepper flavor into the sauce that I love, and hey. EXTRA veggies. I’ll take all I can get.
More pasta recipes coming your way!
- 3 cups diced crimini mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cabernet sauvignon
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef Better Than Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place the ground beef, onions, and mushrooms in a large non-stick saute pan. Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Cook over medium-high heat until the beef is fully cooked. Drain excess fat.
- Add olive oil to pan along with the garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add the wine, stir, and cook for 2-3 minutes until most of the excess liquid has cooked off. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, and better than bouillon, and sugar. Stir to mix everything in well.
- Let simmer over low heat for 1-2 hours.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 989mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 12g Protein: 16g