Panko Fried Onion Rings takes one of my favorite appetizers and makes it something you can do right at home!
Panko Fried Onion Rings
Mmmmmmmhmmmmmm. Onion rings. I didn’t know I liked these until I was in my late 20’s. I spent twenty-some years of my life being an onion hater. Then a few more being an onion tolerator.
Now I am a full-on onion LOVER, and these Panko Fried Onion Rings top my list. I am a fan of onion rings of all varieties. I love a good beer batter. Love the baked onion rings I previously posted here.
Sometimes though, there just is no substitute than a good old-fashioned fried appetizer. This was one of those times. (Another time was when I made these breaded cauliflowers. OH YUM. Oh, and these pan-fried potato wedges. All the yes.)
Try these on your next burger night. Your family will thank you!
- 1 large vidalia sweet onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a few shakes cayenne
- dash pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1-2 cups panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Slice onion and separate into rings.
- Whisk together the egg and milk until combined. Set aside. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, cayenne, pepper, garlic powder, and seasoning salt. Set aside. In a shallow dish or pin plate, put the panko crumbs in.
- Preheat about 1.5 inches of oil over medium heat. While the oil is preheating, start breading your onion rings. Do this by coating in flour, then the egg wash, then back in the flour, back in the egg wash, and finally in the panko. Set on a tray in a single layer, and continue breading until they are all evenly coated.
- Fry a few rings at a time until golden brown. It should take about 1.5 - 2 minutes of frying. More or less, and adjust your oil heat accordingly.
- Let cool on paper towels, and serve with ranch dipping sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 539 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 107mg Sodium: 885mg Carbohydrates: 89g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 31g Protein: 18g