Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins are super tender, and packed full of blueberries.
Blueberry muffins are my VERY favorite muffins. Ever. Ever. Ever. I’ve tried so many different muffin recipes, I can’t even count them all. I can definitively say this one is my absolute favorite. It is just sweet enough to satisfy, and its tender and moist.
These ended up being the BEST muffins I have ever made. They are light and tender and have a great crumb. These blueberry buttermilk muffins puff up exceptionally well. If you like these, you’ll definitely want to also check out my triple berry glazed muffins, and these banana bread muffins too.
So, without further ado…here is the step-by-step, and complete recipe for the Best Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins I have ever made.
Begin these by combining all of the dry ingredients and whisking well to combine. Cut up the butter and using your hands or a pastry blender, combine the dry ingredients with the butter until small pea-sized chunks form.
Next, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
Pour slowly into the dry mixture, giving a half stir now and then to make sure it is evenly distributed.
Stir just until the flour is moistened and there are no large pockets of flour.
This batter is REALLY thick. This is what helps suspend the blueberries in the muffin. Have you ever made muffins and had all the fruit sink to the bottom? Your batter was too thin!
Gently fold in your blueberries. You can also substitute chocolate chips if you’d like. My kids have been begging for chocolate chip muffins, so I divided this batter in half and did half blueberry, and half chocolate chip.
Fresh berries are ideal for muffins, but this time I only had frozen, so I coated them lightly with flour to stop the blue streaks in the batter.
Line 24 regular sized muffin cups with liners, and spray with non-stick spray. FILL liners to the top with batter, and sprinkle with coarse sugar or your favorite streusel topping.
Place in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350. Bake an additional 20-30 minutes, or until the tops are light golden brown and a toothpick comes out with small moist crumbs.
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups butter, cold & cubed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, do NOT sub milk/vinegar/lemon juice mixture!!
- 3 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Using your hands, crumble in cold cubed butter into the flour until the chunks are the size of small peas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla well. Slowly pour into dry mixture, and mix with a wooden spoon just until the flour is moistened.
- Gently mix in the blueberries. Batter will be VERY thick and lumpy.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon batter into liners until full, or slightly coming up over the rim. Sprinkle with coarse sugar or streusel topping of your choice.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes at 425, then reduce heat to 350 for 20-30 minutes, or just until the tops are a light golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 100mg Sodium: 741mg Carbohydrates: 70g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 34g Protein: 12g
Need more breakfast ideas? Check out all of my breakfast recipes here!