Lemon + Blueberry is one of my favorite summer flavor combinations, and they come together beautifully in this awesome lemon blueberry cornmeal butter cake! I love the texture that the cornmeal imparts on this, and can’t wait to have a piece with a hot cup of coffee this morning.
Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Butter Cake
When I was thinking of something to make for brunch this weekend, my mind immediately went to the fresh blueberries in my fridge. It didn’t take long for me to happen upon this post from Cook Like A Champion on Pinterest and for my day to be planned!
This cake is originally from the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, and SO delivered.
I love recipes like this because while they are totally amazing warm right out of the oven, they are also awesome if you make them the evening before.
Which rules my world because when I have people over for brunch I don’t want to have to spend the whole time slaving away over the stove. I want coffee and visiting AND awesome brunchy food.
So a much as I can do in casserole form – I take full advantage of.
Quiches, sausage, and french toast casseroles are all great ideas for a brunch you can enjoy.
I love incorporating P.A.N. cornmeal into my dishes. It adds great flavor and texture into this cake. Cornmeal is so versatile! You wouldn’t immediately think sweet cake + cornmeal, but I’m so glad that I tried it!
I’m getting ready and planning for a BIG visit coming up soon. My MOM is coming to see me!
This is a HUGE deal you see, for many different reasons – but one of the biggest is that she’s never actually been out to Washington before!
In fact, since I moved out of Minnesota back in 2006 – she’s only been out to my house once, when I lived in Michigan. And I was 9 months pregnant at the time and not feeling especially hospitable to anyone or anything, so not really able to put my best foot forward because my ginormous belly was in the way.
So I’m super excited to get to have my mom around for two whole weeks and cook up a storm for her and my aunt. More to come on that in a future post.
For now – try out this awesome Lemon Blueberry Cornbread Butter Cake, and report back to me!
Need more blueberry recipes? I’ve got them here!
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup P.A.N. cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- Preheat over to 350.
- Place all of the cake ingredients (minus the blueberries) into a mixer, and mix on low speed for 2 minutes - or until well combined. Gently fold in the blueberries to the batter.
- Mix together the streusel ingredients with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly and combined. Sprinkle on top of the cake batter.
- Prepare an 8x8 baking pan with baking spray, and spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a tester comes out with moist crumbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 313 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 189mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 28g Protein: 3g