Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes Mmmmmmm! Who doesn’t love blueberries and pancakes, and put them together, WOW. Simple yet fantastic breakfast that is a diner classic.
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
For these delicious Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes, I start with my Buttermilk Pancakes, add gads of fresh blueberries and top them off with my Blueberry Syrup. This blueberry syrup has all real ingredients. It is simple to make, and super flavorful.
Fresh blueberries are the best, but not the only option. If you live where blueberries are plentiful and you pick them in season you can freeze them and use them later.
You can blueberries from the produce section at your local grocery store or from the frozen foods section. If you are not fortunate enough to have your own blueberry plants or a local farm where you can pick your own, you can always look at your local Farmers Market when they are in season.
Should I get farm eggs or store eggs?
Farm fresh eggs are the best, for this or any recipe, or to eat on their own. They are more nutrient dense and darker in color because of what the chickens are fed on smaller, local farms. On the smaller farms, they are usually more selective about what they feed their chickens.
Can I make my own buttermilk with milk and vinegar or lemon juice?
Homemade buttermilk is much thinner in consistency than real buttermilk, and it drastically affects the consistency of the batter. So for this recipe, use store-bought buttermilk.
Delicious Homemade Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Pancakes aren’t just for breakfast. They can be for any meal, and make a great Sunday brunch. I even love them for dinner!
You’ll want to make extra because these easy pancakes freeze well, so make a large batch and freeze between wax-paper sheets and then reheat in the microwave for a quick weekday breakfast!
I would hold off on the syrup until you are ready to eat them. The syrup also freezes well, so you just have to plan ahead and defrost it before you pop your pancakes in the microwave.
What else can I serve with Scratch Buttermilk Pancakes?
Scramble up some of those farm fresh eggs that you have on hand. You could even make up some Smoked Salmon Scrambled Eggs!
I would cut up some fruit, it’s almost summer, so I’m thinking strawberries, blackberries, and some melon.
Pin for later!
- 1-pint blueberries – washed and stemmed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 5 cups buttermilk
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-2 cups fresh blueberries
- Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch and cold water. Heat over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes while you mix up the pancakes.
- Combine all of the pancake ingredients together in a bowl except for the fresh berries, and stir.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Give it a light spray of cooking spray or a swipe of butter if you need to.
- Ladle a small amount of batter into the pan, place some blueberries on top, and let cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the bottom is browned.
- Carefully flip with a spatula, and let the other side cook.
- Continue cooking until all of the pancakes are done.
- To finish the blueberry sauce, mix the cold water and cornstarch into a slurry, and stir into the blueberry sauce.
- Pour the blueberry sauce over the pancakes and serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 854 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 209mg Sodium: 2060mg Carbohydrates: 134g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 46g Protein: 26g