Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes are a super-fast dessert that tastes like you spent all day on it. This is a doctored cake mix recipe, and you can have this ready to go in under an hour. Bring those summery flavors out to play, but don’t spend all day in the kitchen wasting the sunshine!
Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes
You guys know that I’m usually a huge proponent of made-from-scratch cooking. I love the satisfaction of taking a bunch of ingredients and combining them to make something more. Bonus points if nothing I used came out of a box or a can. But seriously? Real life sometimes knocks me right on my “let’s dirty a million dishes and spend 6 hours in the kitchen today” butt. I’m sure it does for you too, but just because you can’t make something entirely from scratch doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a really killer dessert to serve!
Enter these blueberry lemon cupcakes. Oh.Good.Gracious.
I’m in sunny Chicago right now at Eat Write Retreat, eating ALL the good foods and learning ALL of the awesome things, but I could go for one of these right now. If I thought they would’ve travelled well, I would’ve brought some out.
Instead the Eat Write Retreaters had to settle for some homemade Rainier Cherry Liqueur. I’m sure they are super sad. 😉
But I bet they would’ve loved these cupcakes ALMOST as much. What can I say? That liqueur is preeeeeeaaaaaty darn good.
If you don’t have lemon extract in your cupboard’s arsenal, go thee forth and get it. And now. Or order it from Amazon like I do. Free two-day shipping and I are besties. Forever. #PrimeForLife You can Try Amazon Prime’s 30-Day Free Trial here, and watch how fast the world is at your fingertips. I use it for birthday supplies and presents, Christmas shopping, most of my household goods, and diapers. OH THE DIAPERS. Love it.
Love it almost as much as these cupcakes. Maybe even more, since I can use it to get almost all of the things I need to MAKE these cupcakes!
Need some more awesome cupcake ideas? I’ve got lots!
- 1 box white cake mix, made according to package directions EXCEPT:
- *add an extra whole egg and substitute milk for water
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 - 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- Mix together cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, and lemon extract according to package directions (but with the extras and substitutions I detailed above), and gently stir in fresh blueberries.
- Place into lined cupcake tin filling 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Let cool completely.
- Beat together all frosting ingredients until smooth, and pipe onto cupcakes. Top with a blueberry.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 79mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 25g Protein: 2g