Indulge in a mouthwatering fusion of flavors with these scrumptious Smoked Armadillo Eggs, crafted from succulent ground wild hog and savory beef bacon. This unique and delectable recipe is the ultimate crowd-pleaser for any barbecue gathering or outdoor feast.
Traeger Smoked Armadillo Eggs
Discover the ultimate barbecue treat with these tempting Smoked Armadillo Eggs, a mouthwatering fusion of succulent ground wild hog, flavorful beef bacon, and spicy jalapeños. This innovative recipe delivers an explosion of taste that will leave your guests craving more. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, a tailgating party, or simply looking for a deliciously different appetizer, these are guaranteed to impress.
For those who prefer a more traditional take, swapping in ground pork and regular bacon for the wild hog and beef bacon is a breeze. No matter your choice, the combination of juicy meat, crispy bacon, and zesty jalapeños create a perfect harmony of flavors that will elevate your outdoor cooking experience. As a bonus, these Smoked Armadillo Eggs can be prepared on a smoker or a grill, providing versatility for any cookout.
Don’t miss out on this delectable addition to your grilling repertoire. With its harmonious blend of flavors and textures, Traeger Armadillo Eggs have quickly become a sought-after BBQ favorite. So fire up the grill, gather your friends and family, and prepare to be transported to barbecue bliss with this unforgettable appetizer.
Get 75+ of my favorite Traeger Recipes here!
Armadillo Eggs shopping list
Wondering if you have to hit the store? Here’s the list of items you’ll need to make this recipe. For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- jalapeño peppers
- cream cheese
- ground wild hog (or ground pork)
- beef bacon (or regular pork bacon
- bbq rub
Try our traditional Jalapeño Poppers!
How to make Armadillo Eggs on the Traeger
This is just the overview so you can see what you’re actually getting into here. When you are cooking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
Fire up the grill and get it heating to 325°F.
Cut your peppers, stuff with cream cheese, mash some ground hog all around it, and wrap with bacon. Don’t forget to season in between layers!
Place carefully onto your preheated grill. Cook, turning periodically, until the internal temp is at least 160° and the bacon is crispy.
These are next-level molten lava when they come out of the grill. Let them rest for a few before slicing and serving.
These are big servings, so it is totally within reason to slice them in half.
Get all of my Traeger Recipes here!
Traeger Armadillo Eggs FAQ
Can I use ground pork instead of ground wild hog for the Smoked Armadillo Eggs?
Absolutely! Ground pork is a great alternative to ground wild hog and can be easily swapped in this recipe.
What type of bacon should I use if I don’t have beef bacon?
Regular pork bacon is a perfect substitute for beef bacon. I prefer using thick cut bacon, but it tends to stay a bit chewier and less crispy than regular bacon, so choose the one that you prefer according to what you’d like the final results to taste like.
Can I make Smoked Armadillo Eggs ahead of time and reheat them for serving later?
Yes, you can prepare the Armadillo Eggs in advance, store them in the refrigerator, and reheat them on the grill or in an oven at a low temperature until warmed through.
Try our BBQ Smoked Pickled Eggs!
More bacon-wrapped recipes to love!
- For a deliciously sweet and savory appetizer, try making Bacon-Wrapped Pineapple Bites by wrapping juicy chunks of pineapple in crispy bacon.
- Elevate your grilling game with Traeger Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp – succulent shrimp wrapped in smoky bacon and grilled to perfection.
- Add some extra flavor to your barbecue or game day spread with Bacon-Wrapped Brats – juicy bratwurst sausages wrapped in crispy bacon.
- Impress your guests with Bacon-Wrapped Scallops – tender scallops wrapped in savory bacon and seared to perfection.
- Give your taste buds a treat with Smoked Garlic Pig Shots – juicy pork sausage wrapped in crispy bacon, stuffed with creamy garlic cheese and smoked to perfection.
- Spice things up with Smoked Hog-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers – spicy jalapeño peppers stuffed with smoky pulled pork and cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and smoked to perfection.
- For a mouthwatering main course, try making Traeger Smoked Stuffed Pork Tenderloin – juicy pork tenderloin stuffed with flavorful ingredients and smoked to perfection on a Traeger.
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 pound ground wild hog (or pork)
- 16 pieces beef bacon (you can use pork bacon if you don't have beef)
- 2 tablespoons bbq rub (suggestions below)
- Preheat the pellet grill to 325°F.
- Halve the jalapeño peppers and remove the seeds and membrane. Fill with cream cheese. Sprinkle some of the bbq rub on the cream cheese.
- Take the ground hog (or pork) and smoosh it around the entire stuffed jalapeño pepper. Sprinkle with more bbq rub on all sides of the ground hog/pork.
- Wrap the whole thing in a couple pieces of beef bacon, securing with a toothpick.
- Place onto the smoker and let cook until the internal temperature reaches at least 160°F, and the bacon is crispy and fat is rendered. Flip every 15-20 minutes for the best results.
- Remove from the grill and let cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. The inside is going to be like molten lava when they first come off the grill.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 1595mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 32g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.
Nicole Johnson, a self-taught expert in grilling and outdoor cooking, launched Or Whatever You Do in 2010. Her blog, renowned for its comprehensive and creative outdoor cooking recipes, has garnered a vast audience of millions. Nicole's hands-on experience and passion for grilling shine through her work. Her husband, Jeremiah Johnson, also plays a pivotal role in recipe development, adding his culinary flair to the mix. Together, they form a dynamic duo, offering a rich and varied outdoor cooking experience to their followers.