Fire up your pellet grill and break out that pork roast because this Traeger Smoked Chile Verde! Make them into tacos, fill up a big burrito, crisp them up into quesadillas, or pile on top of a mountain of nachos. We won’t judge.
Traeger Smoked Chile Verde
This recipe is our take on pulled pork tacos, smoked and then braised in a green chili sauce before getting loaded up into whatever your favorite vessel might be. The pork is tender, and shredded tacos are so delicious. If you aren’t into shreds, you can also keep them in larger chunks too. You do you!
There’s a lot of great options when it comes to topping your verde too. We went simple here with some diced onions and cilantro, but you know we went crazy with the leftovers the next day and loaded it up with guacamole, sour cream, extra hot sauce, pico de gallo, some cilantro lime rice, and black beans too!
Try our Traeger Carnitas too!
Smoked Chile Verde shopping list
Wondering if you have to hit the store? Here’s the list of items you’ll need to make this recipe. For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Love jalapeños? Try our Smoked Jalapeño Poppers!
How to make Pork Verde Tacos
This is just the overview so you can see what you’re actually getting into here. When you are cooking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
We’re shooting for 200° for this stage of things!
Cube & Rub
Cube the roast into 1″-2″ cubes. Coat lightly with oil and then toss with the seasonings. Place into a grill-safe baking dish.
60-90 minutes is ideal.
Turn the grill up to 325°. Dice up the onion and jalapeño and then add the salsa verde and water to the pot. Cook it in the grill until it is fork-tender.
Load up the pork into corn tortillas for street tacos (pictured in this post), in a big flour tortilla for a burrito, or on top of a big pile of chips for nachos.
Try our Barbacoa Burritos too!
Smoked Chile Verde FAQ
Store these in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days tops. If you’ll be storing it longer, you should freeze it along with some of the braising liquid in a freezer baggie.
The microwave actually works really well for reheating these. You can also use a cast iron pan on the stovetop or a gas griddle.
You can use another brand of salsa verde if you can’t find the Herdez brand. l’m sure it’ll be great! I haven’t tested it with other brands so I can’t guarantee the results. Make sure that you use a brand you like eating on its own
If you love verde, don’t miss our Chilaquiles with Hatch Salsa Verde!
More great tacos to love!
- Smoked Al Pastor Tacos
- Blackstone Brisket Tacos
- Blackstone Smoked Pulled Pork Tacos
- Blackstone Skirt Steak Street Tacos
- Smoked Shredded Beef Tacos
- Tequila Lime Smoked Shredded Beef Puffy Tacos
- Traeger Beef Birria Tacos
- Blackstone Fish Tacos with Peach Salsa
- Blackstone Blackened Shrimp Tacos
- Smoked Pork Loin Tacos
- Marinated Fish Tacos
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Traeger Blackened Fish Tacos
- Traeger Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- 2 pound pork shoulder blade roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili margarita rub (or our homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 whole jalapeño pepper
- 2 - 8 ounce cans Herdez green tomatillo salsa
- 4 cups water
- Preheat your pellet grill to 200°.
- Cut your pork roast into 1-2" cubes. Lightly coat the meat with the oil, and then toss with all of the spices to evenly coat. Place the pieces into a grill-safe baking dish.
- Smoke for 60-90 minutes at 200°.
- Dice the onion and jalapeño pepper and toss it into the pan with the pork roast along with the tomatillo salsa and water.
- Turn the heat up on your grill to 325°.
- Let the roast braise, stirring occasionally, until it is fork tender.
- Shred with forks, load up into heated corn tortillas, and top with your favorite taco toppings. We like fresh diced onion and cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 743mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 27g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.