Homemade Chicken Rice-a-Roni takes your favorite childhood meal and makes it from scratch!
Homemade Chicken Rice-a-Roni
I am in such a dinner rut right now. I always struggle in summer because my preferences lean heavily towards winter foods. Soup, stew, pasta, casseroles, roasts and mashed potatoes, all of it. It must of been my youth spent in the frozen tundra also known as Northern Minnesota. Fall/Winter foods = comfort foods for me.
Another of my comfort foods from my childhood is Rice-a-Roni, in almost all varieties.
I LOVE that stuff, but most of the time I just can’t bring myself to buy it anymore.
We try and avoid MSG when we can, so even though my heart cries out for that lovely San Francisco Treat, I limit it.
Look no further, folks. Here it is.
I was pretty surprised how similar this was to the boxed version. It got 4/5 kid stars, which is a winner in this house!
Even the baby liked it.
The baby, who is about to turn ONE this weekend! EEEK! Get ready for birthday party posts coming up next week. I hope you are prepared.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups diced chicken breast, liberally seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup long grain rice, I used Jasmine
- 1 cup good quality spaghetti, it takes longer to cook, which is a bonus here, broken into small pieces
- 2-4 medium crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons chicken reduced sodium Better Than Bouillion
- 1/2 cup white wine, Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay would be best
- 1 cup chopped broccoli, frozen is okay
- Preheat oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick or seasoned cast iron saute pan. Quickly brown diced chicken, and then remove from the pan. It is okay, preferable actually, if the chicken is still partly pink in the middle at this point.
- Melt butter in the saute pan over medium heat. Add rice and pasta, and cook stirring frequently until the pasta is browned. Add the mushrooms during the last 3-4 minutes of the rice/pasta cook time, and cook those along with the rice/pasta. Add the onion and garlic powder, the parsley, salt, water, bouillon, and wine.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broccoli during last 5 minutes of cooking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 335mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 25g