As a Minnesota native, I have an undeniable love for wild rice that I just cannot shake. When I saw a photo for a Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole circulating on Pinterest from Picky Palate, I immediately clicked over. I LOVE wild rice.
We don’t really do any “cream of” soups here though, so I knew I needed to make a homemade version of this that would work for my family.
Begin this recipe by baking 3 large chicken breasts seasoned lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a 325 degree oven until they are cooked through. The time this will take depends heavily on how thick your chicken breast is, so check often and remove as soon as the pink is gone.
While the chicken is cooking, dice up half an onion and sauté it over medium heat with 3/4 of a stick of butter.
Add in 1 tablespoon of finely diced garlic and saute for 1 minute. After the onions are soft and translucent, sprinkle 1/2 a cup of all-purpose flour into the pan and whisk until the lumps are gone.
Cook this, stirring frequently, over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Next slowly stir in the white wine, chicken broth, and herbs. Cook until thickened and then remove from heat, stir in cream, and set aside.
Dice your cooked chicken and layer it into your casserole dish.
Add in the broccoli, cooked white rice, cooked wild rice, and carrots.
Pour the cream sauce in.
Stir in half of the cheese, and sprinkle the rest on the top. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until everything is melted and bubbly and delicious.
This recipe was really easy to whip up, especially if you are in the habit of freezing your left over rice, which I am. I’ll definitely be making this again!
- 3 large chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, salted
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chardonnay
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup uncooked basmati or jasmine rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups colby jack cheese, shredded
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and bake in a 350 degree oven until there is no pink left in center. Remove from oven, cool, and dice into bite sized chunks.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare rice. To cook wild rice, rinse thoroughly and then boil in salted water until grains have broken open and rice is tender. It typically takes about 45 minutes. Cook your white rice according to package directions.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt butter and saute onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Whisk in flour until no lumps remain, and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slowly add in wine and chicken broth, whisking to combine. Add in dry mustard, parsley, and poultry seasonings. Cook until thickened, remove from heat and slowly stir in cream, and then set aside.
- Assemble casserole by preparing a 9x13 high-sided baking pan with cooking spray, and then layering in the chicken, carrots, and broccoli. Sprinkle on half of the cheese. Combine the cooked rice and mix until incorporated, and the layer on top of vegetables. Top with the other half of the cheese, and then pour the sauce over the entire thing, covering evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and heated through. Cover with tin foil if top starts to brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 975 Total Fat: 64g Saturated Fat: 38g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 229mg Sodium: 1455mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Protein: 54g