This delicious Instant Pot Green Enchilada Casserole recipe first appeared over on Recipe Girl, where I did a few guest posts! Find expanded commentary and additional pictures below, and make sure to drop by Recipe Girl to tell her hello! I’m such a huge fan!
Instant Pot Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a super simple green enchilada that you don’t even have to bother with rolling up. Think of it kind of like a Mexican lasagna. Doing the cooking in the Instant Pot makes this quick AND easy too.
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a lot to say. I usually drill that down to “green enchiladas,” myself. You can call them whatever you want, as long as you also call them “dinner.”
I make all of this in the Instant Pot. All of it. My kids love chicken tacos, so I usually make a big batch of salsa verde chicken once or twice a month. That makes enough to have a taco dinner PLUS an extra dinner’s worth where you could do cool things like chicken taco soup or these awesome green enchiladas.
HOW TO MAKE SALSA VERDE CHICKEN IN YOUR ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER
First, start with the chicken. We used chicken tenders for this, but you could use regular breasts as well, or if you are really in a pinch you can use rotisserie chicken and season it well with some green chiles and salsa verde.
If you want to make good use of your Instant Pot for the chicken as well as the casserole, just toss the chicken into the pot, add in the green chiles and salsa verde, and then cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Let the pot release the pressure manually for 10 minutes, and then move the vent carefully over to the venting position to let the remaining pressure escape.
Carefully remove the chicken from the pot and shred with your stand mixer using the paddle attachment or the old-fashioned way with two forks. Mix some of the cooking liquid back into the chicken.
HOW TO LAYER AN INSTANT POT SALSA VERDE CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
Layering your enchiladas is super simple. I have an 8 quart Instant Pot and use a 7-inch springform pan inside for these types of dishes. When using something round to layer, I like to break the tortillas in half so I can get nice even layer without too much in one area. Layer tortillas, enchilada sauce, chicken and cheese. Then repeat!
I was so excited about how great this came out! This would be a perfect dish to bring over to a friend or neighbor, and it reheats really well if you need something for lunches for the family.
It even slices well.
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT CASSEROLES:
- Use non-stick foil to cover your pan, or you’re cheese will peel off with the foil. If you don’t have non-stick foil, spray it SUPER liberally with cooking spray!
- Make this a fajita casserole by layering in some bell peppers that have been sauteed for a few minutes in a skillet.
- This can be baked if you don’t have an Instant Pot, or if you need to make a larger batch.
SERVE THIS GREEN CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE WITH:
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice by Or Whatever You Do
- Instant Pot Cheesecake by Recipe Girl
- Easy Guacamole by The Creative Bite
- Traeger Smoked Salsa Verde by Or Whatever You Do
April says, “I love enchiladas, this was easier than the traditional methods. It was absolutely delicious! I learned that due to using a ceramic type dish I should have increased the cook time by a few minutes. Next time, I will marinate the chicken before cooking for added flavor. The kids ate it up before I got a photo. A make again for sure!
Pin for later!
SALSA VERDE CHICKEN:
- 1 pound chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 1 can green chiles (large or small can depending on how much you like them!)
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
PREPARE THE SHREDDED SALSA VERDE CHICKEN:
- Place the chicken, salsa, 1 cup enchilada sauce, water, and chilies into your Instant Pot. Close the lid, shut the vent, and set the timer to manual 8 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, let the pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, and then vent the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and discard all but 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Shred the chicken using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or two forks. Mix in the remaining cooking liquid into the chicken and set aside.
ASSEMBLE & COOKE THE CASSEROLE
- Spray a high-sided, round pan that will fit into your Instant Pot liberally with cooking spray (I like to use a springform pan). Cut your tortillas in half, and place one layer into the bottom of the pan. Top with some of the enchilada sauce, then a layer of chicken and a layer of cheese.
- Repeat the layering once more, and then top with a final layer of tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese. Cover tightly with non-stick foil, or foil that has been liberally sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 - 3/4 cup water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place a trivet inside, and then carefully lower the covered casserole into the pot. You may want to use a foil sling for this, or if you have a trivet with long handles you can use that.
- Close the pot, shut the vent, and set on Manual mode High pressure for 12 minutes. Increase cooking time by 2 to 3 minutes if this was previously refrigerated before cooking, and 4 to 5 minutes if it was previously frozen.
- When cooking time finishes, vent the pressure carefully and let the casserole sit for 5 to 10 minutes to set up. Serve with your favorite Mexican garnishes. We like lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and green salsa and hot sauces!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 114mg Sodium: 1053mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 5g Protein: 40g