I love asparagus season. Even if Spring isn’t quite cooperating here in Michigan, in regions relatively close-by it is. There has been amazing asparagus at the grocery store the last week or so for $0.99 a pound!! That’s incredible! The first thing I did with it was to whip up this sausage and asparagus frittata. I love a good frittata because they are easy, relatively fast, and so tasty. It can serve as your make-ahead breakfast for a week, and can be personalized in unlimited ways for your family. This specific one has spinach, sausage, asparagus, mushroom, and green onion. It was a great combination, and one I will definitely be using again. The main flavor components were definitely the sausage and asparagus though.
Start by browning your sausage and breaking it up into smallish chunks. If you are using links, just brown them and give them a rough chop before adding them to the frittata.
Next wash and cut the tips off your asparagus and set those aside for the top of the frittata. Slice the stems into little 1/4 – 1/2 inch sections, and quickly saute them in the sausage pan for about 1-2 minutes. Slice up the mushrooms and brown those as well, and then quickly wilt the spinach.
Now whip up your eggs and milk until they are slightly frothy and fully combined. Season with salt and pepper. Put all your vegetables and sausage into your pie plate that has been well sprayed with cooking spray. Top with cheese.
Next pour the egg mixture over the top and arrange the asparagus tips on it.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs are set. This time will vary depending on your specific oven, so check often!
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 lb breakfast sausage
- 3 large mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 8-9 spears asparagus
- handful baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray pie plate well with cooking spray.
- Brown and crumble sausage. Set aside.
- Cut tips off of asparagus, set aside. Cut off last 1-2 inches of spears and discard. Slice remaining spears into 1/4 inch chunks. Quickly saute in sausage pan for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Set aside.
- Brown mushrooms in same pan. Set aside.
- Quickly wilt spinach in pan. Remove and set aside.
- Place the sausage, sauteed asparagus chunks, spinach, and mushrooms in your pie plate. Cover with cheese.
- Mix eggs and milk well until slightly frothy and completely combined. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into pie plate over other ingredients. Arrange asparagus tips on top of the frittata.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, or until eggs are completely set. Check often during last 5-10 minutes because they go from runny to set very quickly.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 326 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 247mg Sodium: 624mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 21g