Our Smoked and Shredded Beef Dip Sandwich takes a tender beef roast and slow smokes it before it gets sealed and braised in a savory au jus. Shredded, loaded on toasted hoagie rolls, and then topped with ridiculous amounts of smoked gouda for one of the best dip sandwiches EVER.
Smoked Shredded Beef Dip Sandwich
I LOVE French Dips. Shaved roast beef on a delicious, hearty buns, and all of the au jus to dip it in.
This recipe for smoked beef dip sandwiches takes a traditional French Dip and gives it the pellet grill treatment.
Get all of my Easy Traeger Recipes here!
Smoked Shredded Beef Dip Sandwich shopping list
Remind people the amounts are in the recipe card.
- sirloin cap roast
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- johnny’s au jus powder
- beef stock
- fresh garlic
- smoked gouda
- hoagie rolls
More Traeger Beef Recipes here!
How to make shredded beef dip sandwiches
Want to know what you are getting yourself into? Here’s the quick-and-dirty run-down. Make sure that you use the recipe card below for the full instructions when you are actually cooking this!
Preheat your pellet grill, season your meat, and smoked it right on the grill grates for 3 hours at about 225°.
Put the roast into a pan along with some beef stock, onion, garlic, and au jus. Cover it tightly and let it cook at 275° for another 3-4 hours, or until the roast gets to about 205° and is easily shreddable.
Shred the beef with two forks or some meat claws. Load it on toasted hoagie rolls and top with all of the sliced smoked gouda you can handle.
Stick the sandwiches back on the grill for a minute or under a broiler to melt the cheese.
Serve with the au jus sauce for dipping!
Follow me on Instagram!
Serve this with some homemade oven-fried onion rings!
How to store leftover shredded beef dip sandwiches
The key to storing these is to not build all of the sandwiches at once. Only put together sandwiches that are going to be eaten right away, and store the rest separately in an air-tight container.
How to reheat shredded beef dip sandwiches
Shredded beef dips are pretty easy to reheat. I recommend using the microwave and heating it up in the au jus for the best results. You could also reheat this on the stove if there is enough liquid left to simmer slowly and heat the meat through.
Join our Easy Traeger Recipes Facebook Group!
We used a sirloin cap roast in this particular dish, but any of the typical cuts of beef would work. I’ve used chuck successfully (and that’s what we normally use). I’ve also heard of people having success with rump or tri tip as well.
If you can’t find my favorite au jus powder, you can always substitute another brand instead. These are typically found near all of the other powdered mixes in the grocery store.
More recipes to love!
Tender savory beef dip made with shredded beef and heaped onto hearty rolls with a large side of au jus just for dipping!
- 2 pounds beef roast (like chuck or similar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons Johnny’s au jus powder
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 12 slices smoked gouda
- Preheat your pellet grill to 225°.
- Sprinkle the meat with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic and rub it in until all sides are covered.
- Place the meat onto the center of the grill, close the lid, and let cook for 3 hours.
- Remove meat from the grill and place it into a roast pan. Add water, beef stock, onion, garlic, and Au jus powder. Cover tightly and place back onto the grill at 275°.
- Cook for an additional 3 hours, or until the roast is shreddable and around 205° internal temp.
- Shred the beef roast, reserving the liquids for dipping, removing any excess fat or unappetizing bits you come across.
- Toast your buns under a broiler, top with the shredded beef and cheese, and place briefly back under the broiler to melt.
- Serve with your au jus and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 762Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 255mgSodium: 1226mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 65g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.