In our Smoked Beef Short Ribs recipe, we take some big juicy dino ribs and season with SPG before hitting the smoker for the day for a Traeger smoke-a-thon. Tender, meaty, and so delicious!
Traeger Smoked Dino Ribs
I love all kinds of ribs, but beef ribs have a special place in my heart and in our recipe box. We’ve done them on the site a few times before, but never quite like this.
The first time we made beef back ribs, which are similar in name to these beef plate short ribs but come from a different part of the animal and aren’t as large and in charge as the dino ribs that you see all over the internets during peak grilling season.
Get more Easy Traeger Recipes here!
Smoked Beef Dino Ribs shopping list
Wondering if you have to hit the store? Here’s the list of items you’ll need to make this recipe. For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Try our Smoked & Braised Beef Short Ribs too!
How to make Smoked Dino Ribs on the Pellet Grill
This is just the overview so you can see what you’re actually getting into here. When you are cooking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
We’re headed to 235°F today, so preheat according to factory instructions. Or get as close to it as you can.
Season & Smoke
Season your ribs with the salt, pepper, and garlic. Throw the ribs on the smoker and let them smoke for 5-6 hours. Spritz every 30 minutes with hard cider.
Get our 75 ESSENTIAL Traeger Recipes here!
Wrap up the ribs in pink butcher paper and put them back on the grill. Cook wrapped for another 1 1/2 – 2 hours, or until the ribs are probe tender.
Let the ribs rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Serve with bbq sauce and napkins.
Pick one of my SIDE DISH RECIPES to go with them!
Get our FREE Pellet Grill Appetizers Recipe E-Book
Smoked Beef Short Ribs FAQ
Toss them in a baggie and refrigerate for 3-4 days max.
Remove the meat from the bone and saute in some butter for the best results. We’ve also resorted to the microwave in a pinch. Let that be a last resort though. Air fryer, stovetop, and over are all better options.
Dino ribs are the beef short plate ribs. These are different from beef back ribs, and are often labeled Beef Short Ribs.
Dino ribs are not in fact, dino. They are made from cow.
Yup! They sure are!
Nope! Back ribs are different ribs. Back ribs are what are left when they cut the prime rib roast and ribeyes from the animal. The meat is primarily found between the bones on these ribs.
Follow me on Instagram!
What are the best sides to serve with Smoked Beef Plate Ribs?
- Smoked Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Baked Beans
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Loaded Smoked Baked Potatoes
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Smoked Scalloped Potatoes
All of our RIBS RECIPES here!
- 3 pounds beef plate short ribs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 can cherry hard cider
- Preheat your pellet grill to 235°F. Season your ribs liberally with the salt, pepper, and garlic. Place on the smoker and smoke for about 5 hours. Spritz every 30-45 minutes with some sweet cherry hard cider (or any hard cider or apple cider you have hanging around.)
- Wrap the ribs in pink butcher paper tightly and place back on the grill. Cook for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until the ribs are probe tender and jiggle a little when you wiggle them. We tend to go by "feel", so give the meat a few pokes too.
- Remove from the pellet grill and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with bbq sauce and plenty of napkins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 667Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 211mgSodium: 441mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 63g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.