If there is one wing recipe you want to make, these Smoked and Fried Chicken Wings are your golden ticket! You have a super crispy skinned wing that offers a rich smoke flavor, with tender and juicy chicken, that will leave you licking your fingers clean!
Traeger Smoked and Fried Chicken Wings
I know. This recipe has two pretty specialized pieces of equipment being used in it. My wood-pellet grill + my deep fryer made these wings super easy, but if you don’t have those you can still make some killer grilled/smoked and fried wings that’ll top anything you could do alone on one of those tools.
The Best Smoked and Fried Chicken Wings Ever
I wish I could take full credit for this fantastic invention, but many have done this before, and I got the idea to try this method after we had amazing wings at Smoke, in Charleston, SC!
They fry their wings in the chicken fat. Or maybe bacon fat. Some kind of amazing confit that I can’t quite replicate here at home, but we did a really good job of trying with the fryer.
I opted for canola oil, and it worked really well. If you have the option for a chicken fat confit, go that route, by all means.
Check out my other chicken wing recipes!
Why Smoke AND Fry Wings?
I get it. If you are thinking that smoking wings and then frying is a little overkill, you might be right. But also? We officially can’t be friends. If smoked + fried wings are wrong, I will never be right again.
I can’t even explain how much it changes the flavor when you compare it to a classic chicken wing. The smoke soaks into the chicken wings, but you don’t have to fight with the skin so much to get a crispy skin.
Alternatives To Smoking and Frying Chicken Wings
Use a different grill or smoker | If you don’t have a Traeger you can use any smoker. You can also use a gas or charcoal grill if you want to with a smoke tube inside.
No Fryer, Here Is An Alternative | If you don’t have a fryer, grab a skillet, pour some oil in, and fry these chicken wings up on your stove top! Yep, it is that easy, and you still get that crunchy skin with moist and juicy chicken on the inside.
When we have made these I have to make quite a few because my entire family goes nuts over these smoked and fried chicken wings. We grab our napkins, drinks, and wings and enjoy a really satisfying meal.
If you are planning to host any game day parties, or even make these for a New Year’s Eve party, and give your guest one tasty treat.
What Kind Of Sauce Goes With Smoked & Fried Wings?
The beauty of this recipe is the versatility that comes with it. Eat them plain, or as naked wings, as we like to call them.
Every option you choose will work with these versatile wings.
- Buffalo with Blue Cheese or Ranch To Dip
- Honey BBQ Wings (I love dipping in ranch)
- Naked (skip the sauces)
Consider These Sides To Pair With Your Fried Chicken Wings
Give this delicious chicken wing recipe a try, I truly think you will be so happy you did! These truly are the BEST smoke fried chicken wings I have ever had in my entire life!
Have you ever tried a smoke fried chicken wing before?
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon goya adobo all-purpose seasoning
- sauce of your choosing
- Fire up your Traeger and set it to smoke.
- Liberally coat the wings in the adobo seasoning. Place on the grill and smoke for 2 hours, turning once halfway through the smoke.
- Remove the wings from the smoker, and preheat your oil to 375 if you haven't already.
- Drop the wings in small batches and fry for 4-6 minutes, or until the skin is crispy. The chicken should be cooked to about 160 - 180 degrees from the long, slow smoke, but this final fry will also ensure they are cooked through as well.
- Remove from the grease, let drain, and then toss in your favorite wing sauce. I recommend my Cholula Buffalo Sauce!
You will also need oil for your fryer and pellets for your wood-pellet grill, but I figured you'd assume that. 😀
- Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning, 8 Ounces
- Traeger Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Proctor Silex 35044 Professional-Style Deep Fryer with 5 L Capacity, Silver
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.