A rich, creamy, and clam filled Dooger’s Clam Chowder copycat. This recipe came to me via my amazing mother-in-law, Denise. This is not an exact version of hers, but pretty close.
Easy Clam Chowder
This soup is one of my favorites, not only because I LOVE clam chowder, but because it is SO stinking easy. This is done in 30-45 minutes, max, and ahhhhh. It’s totally a meal in a bowl.
The key to my version of this is a really really good roux. I brown the butter first and then add the flour and brown that too. It takes a little extra time, but it’s so worth it.
Browning butter is really simple. Over low heat, just let it melt and sizzle a bit, stirring it frequently until little brown bits form. The mix in the flour.
You want it a nice golden brown before you add in the clams.
So keep it low and keep stirring it. Pretty soon you’ll get this.
Once you get that, open up your gigantic can of Costco clams, or an equivalent amount of smaller sized cans.
Dump it in juice and all. Mmmmmmm.
Next dump the cream and half and half in the pot.
This is not the time to switch it up and cut back calories for any kind of milk – even whole. Splurge on this. You won’t regret it.
Once that’s in, turn the heat down to low, and get your potatoes going. You can do this by peeling them and then finely dicing them. I prefer red potatoes for this, and almost everything besides baked potatoes.
Want more recipes from my amazing family? Check these out!
Now you are going to do something a little weird. You’re going to put all of those diced potatoes on a plate, make them into a donut shape, and microwave them for about 3-5 minutes.
I LOVE doing them this way. Most recipes I’ve seen have called for the potatoes to be boiled, which is fine – but take a LOT longer. Microwaving them for a bit cuts down on the final cook time dramatically and saves the hassle of boiling them separately.
Want more great soup ideas? I have them for you!
That’s it! You’re done! Some people like to add a little touch of cream sherry at the end, and really? I like those people. 😉
Creamy rich copycat Dooger's Clam Chowder is going to warm you up and keep you full! This is one of my favorite cream-based soup, and we make it several times a year.
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 51 ounce can Costco clams
- 12 small to medium red potatoes peeled and diced, approximately xl egg sized
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- salt to taste
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over low heat. Continue cooking until lightly browned. Add flour into the butter and whisk to combine. Continue whisking and heating over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the flour also starts to brown a bit. You want this mixture to be a nice nutty golden brown color.
- Pour the clams & juice into the pot as well as the cream and half and half. Stir to combine and bring to a light simmer.
- Put your diced potatoes on a plate and microwave for 3-5 minutes, checking frequently. You want the potatoes to be about 1/2 way to fork tender. Remove from microwave and add to the stock pot.
- Add the thyme and white pepper, stir, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.