Chicken pot pie soup is all of the amazing things you love about pot pie, in a comforting, rich, and delicious soup form. Change up your dinner rut and make a change!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen me posting and raving about this soup this week. Its pretty rare that I cook, shoot, AND post something so quickly, and when you do you KNOW it is something I’m really excited about.
Why am I so excited? This week I busted the recipe rut!
When I make chicken soup I have a few that I tend to go with every time. Chicken Noodle Soup – this version is turkey, but you can easily sub in chicken. I usually do when it isn’t a few days after Thanksgiving!
I also LOVE this creamy chicken wild rice soup. So hearty and full of awesome wild rice and mushrooms.
Those are both awesome options, but this creamy chicken pot pie soup has officially moved into one of my very favorites.
Plus…BONUS. It is something new! I hate getting stuck in recipe ruts, and it is a trap I fall in so often. This soup cured my recipe rut this week. It is creamy, and comforting, and has all of the flavors of a traditional pot pie, but in soup form.
My kids even ate this up after some initial, “What? No noodles? Well, if there isn’t noodles there must be dumplings, right? Wait….is that something GREEN in my soup? HOW did something GREEN get into my soup?”
After all that, most of them dug in, and even ate a few vegetables in the process. WHY the initial hesitation? The recipe RUT I’ve been in so often and for so long.
This was fantastic with my homemade milk rolls and some herbed compound butter smeared on. Step out of your comfort zone, and make something new this week!
Even if it DOESN’T work, you’ve have tried it and learning something in the process. That’s a win/win in my book!
This recipe was most definitely inspired by a pin I saw a few months ago. I just love Shugary Sweets, and her version of this soup looks so fantastic! I love the broccoli in it, but I wanted to go with a more traditional pot pie route with mine.
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced and seasoned lightly with salt and pepper
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2-3 cups sliced carrots
- 1-2 cups frozen peas
- 1-2 cups frozen green beans
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- 1 prepared pie crust, cut into strips and baked
- In a large stock pot, melt butter. Add diced onion and chopped celery, and saute over medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and add chopped chicken into the pot and cook until lightly browned. Don't worry if it isn't cooked all the way through, it will finish cooking in the broth.
- Add chicken broth and fresh carrots. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Add frozen peas and green beans. Combine the corn starch and cold water, and whisk until combined. Pour into the simmering soup while stirring. Return to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add poultry seasoning and cream. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with sliced, baked pie crust slices, rolls, and salad for a complete meal!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 279 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 876mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 7g Protein: 11g