Are you looking for a hearty, filling pot of soup that you can make in less than an hour? Look no further than this Traeger Creamer Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage.
Traeger Sausage & Tortellini Soup
A version of this soup came across my Facebook feed recently, and since I just happened to have all of the ingredients in the house (and you probably do too), well – dinner was decided. I love it when that happens. Foodbook is one of the only reasons I am even on Facebook these days.
This recipe departs from Kristle’s a bit because I can’t NOT change things up, and I also wanted to get some smoke into the mix, so onto the Traeger it went!
Well, part of it anyway. The Sweet Italian Sausage got a hit of smoke in our Traeger, but if you are in a hurry, don’t feel like firing up the grill, or don’t have a pellet grill (yet), you can totally brown it on the stovetop too. It’ll still be awesome.
Check out all of my Traeger Recipes!
Smoked Sausage and Tortellini Soup shopping list
Wondering if you have to hit the store? Here’s the list of items you’ll need to make this recipe. For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Sweet Italian Sausage
- Minced Garlic
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Tomato Sauce
- Italian Seasoning Blend
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Frozen Spinach
- Cheese Tortellini
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
How to make Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soupo
This is just the overview so you can see what you’re actually getting into here. When you are cooking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
Smoke your sausage
Preheat your smoker to 175° and place 1 pound of sweet Italian sausage directly on the grates. Smoke for 30 minutes.
Brown your sausage
If you are using sausage links in casing, carefully remove the casing from the sausage and place it in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Break up the sausage and brown it for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic during the last minute of browning.
Put together the soup
Pour in the diced tomatoes, chicken stock, Italian seasoning, spinach, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for about 15 minutes over medium-low heat.
Thicken the soup
Mix together the flour and cold water until no lumps are present. Whisk into the soup and let it simmer, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes.
Add your tortellini
This part is quick! Fresh tortellini only takes about 2-3 minutes to cook. Stir gently, but stir.
Add the cream
Remove from the heat sources. Stir in your heavy cream at the very end. Serve hot with parmesan cheese on top and crusty bread for dipping.
Get all of my ButcherBox Recipes here!
What else can you serve with creamy tortellini soup?
A hearty soup like this is perfect alongside some bread and a fresh salad. Whether you want to pick those up at the store or make your own, you’ll love it! I’m including some links to my favorites below.
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 - 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 20 ounce package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your smoker to 175° (or as close as you can get to it.)
- Place the Italian sausage links on the grill, and let smoke for about 30 minutes. Remove from the grill and let cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the casing from the sausage and add to a large stock pot. Brown over medium-high heat and break the sausage up into pieces. Add in the garlic during the last minute or so of cooking.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning blend, red pepper flakes, and spinach.
- Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes over medium to medium-low heat.
- Add in the cheese tortellini and let cook for 2-3 minutes, or until al dente.
- Remove from heat and stir in the heavy whipping cream.
- Serve hot, and topped with grated fresh parmesan.
The tomato sauce is optional here. We like an extra kick of tomato flavor in this, but feel free to skip it if you don't!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 1297mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.