Great garlic bread sticks are not only possible, but actually really really easy. These get that pizzaria-like texture by grilling them, but you can definitely bake them in the oven if you’d rather!
These roasted garlic bread sticks were amazing.
Grilling them gave them the best texture and flavor. Nice soft middle, chewy outside, and all of it slathered in roasted garlic butter. These do take a little time and effort to get to the finish line, but the end result is more than worth the effort.
Need something to eat WITH these awesome breadsticks? I’ve got you covered!
Roast your own garlic for this by slicing off the top of a head of garlic, drizzling with a few tablespoons of olive oil, wrapping in foil, and then baking it at 350 for about 45-55 minutes. After it is cooled, squeeze the garlic out of the cloves, and try not to eat too many fresh out of the oven.
Now chop up and mix 4 or 5 of those right into your bread dough.
After the dough has double in size, roll it out onto a well-floured surface.
Cut the dough (I use a pizza cutter!) into 1 inch wide strips, and then cut it into halves or thirds. If you don’t want super sized bread sticks, I’d do thirds. Halves were REALLY big.
Take the strips and place them onto a parchment lined sheet, and twist.
Let the twists rise for about 40 minutes until they are puffy and risen.
Preheat your grill to about 450.
I put down a layer of heavy-duty foil, and then slid the parchment right on top of it.
Now paint those liberally with your garlic butter mixture. Best served warm, but will keep a day. They warmed up really well in the oven, and I even heated up a couple in the microwave today for 15 seconds and was very pleasantly surprised with the results.
Kid tested, and everyone approved.
Garlicky breadsticks made on your GRILL.
- 1 Pint 2% milk
- 1.5 tbsp yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Enough bread flour to make dough
- 4-5 heads roasted garlic
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves mashed up roasted garlic
- Heat the milk until it is luke warm. Pour into the bowl of your stand mixer, and mix in the yeast and let sit for 10 minutes to proof.
- Add the sugar, salt, roasted garlic, and olive oil. Mix for one minute using the bread hook. Add flour in small increments until a smooth dough forms, and the sides of the mixing bowl come clean. Knead using the dough hook for 4-5 minutes. Let dough rise covered in a warm, draft-free area for 1 hour, or until doubled in size. While the dough is rising, mix together the garlic butter ingredients and set aside.
- Punch down dough, and roll out on a well-floured surface. Cut into 1 inch wide strips, and then cut into manageable lengths. Place onto parchment lined baking sheets, and grill at 450 for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush liberally with garlic butter, and serve warm.
Never Miss A Recipe!
Subscribe to get occasional emails and snark direct from ME!