My Traeger Grilled Buffalo Chicken Legs are a delicious and more economical way to enjoy buffalo chicken without sacrificing any of the flavors of their buffalo wing relatives. Cooking these over wood fire gives it a hint of smoke too, which amplifies the whole buffalo experience.
Traeger Grilled Buffalo Chicken Legs
I love chicken drumsticks. Love them. You can find them for REALLY cheap, and they are really delicious! I make them a whole wack of different ways, but to buffalo them is one of my family’s favorites ways, ever.
Or Whatever You Do Chicken Legs Recipes
- Togarashi Chicken Legs
- Korean BBQ Seasoned Chicken Legs
- Honey Balsamic Chicken Legs
- BBQ Chicken Sliders
- Chicken Soup
Know what else I love? BUFFALO.
It isn’t that we don’t appreciate the wing. Buffalo wings are legit one of the best discoveries of my 30’s. I know they’ve been around forever and a day, but for me they were new (as in, I thought I hated them but actually had never tried them), and I’m a little obsessed now.
My Favorite Buffalo Recipes
- Bloody Mary Buffalo Sauce
- Cholula Buffalo Sauce
- Traeger Grilled Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
- Grilled Buffalo Shrimp
- Buffalo Chicken Wraps
Okay, maybe more than a little. Sons #1 & #3 are both now requesting Buffalo Mac and Cheese to be added to our dinner rotation, so watch out for that Buffalo Recipe list to expand in the not-too-distant future. Oh, and these Buffalo Chicken Pretzel Bites from Heather at Sugar Dish Me might just be the best things since pretzels themselves came to be.
More delicious Traeger Recipes here!
How To Make Grilled Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks
The secret to grilled drumsticks is to finish them on relatively high heat, or if your grill won’t get that high, under a broiler for a couple of minutes. This crisps up the skin a bit and prevents that rubbery skin thing that can sometimes happen, especially at lower temps.
Can’t Decide? See my favorite Easy Traeger Grill recipes here!
Since you are saucing these legs mid-cook, the skin will never get as crispy as it would with a dry cook, but it is a pretty good trade-off if you aren’t going to just go ALL the way in and fry these.
Tips for deliciously grilled chicken legs, every time
- Wood-fire cooks are the best! We use a Traeger, there are lots of options available for wood-pellet grills though!
- Season well before you cook. Don’t skimp on the pre-grill seasonings. You need to lock those in!
- Chicken legs take a while, so be patient! There’s a LOT of bone to contend with here. Temp these to make sure the meat nearest the bone is fully cooked.
- Don’t sauce until the last 10-15 minutes of cook time. This will allow the skin to crisp up a little during the initial grill time.
- 12 chicken legs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Buffalo seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup Buffalo sauce
- Preheat your grill to 325°.
- Toss the chicken legs in the salt and Buffalo seasoning. Place on preheated grill.
- Grill for 40 minutes, turning once or twice.
- After 40 minutes, crank the heat up to high, cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Brush on Buffalo sauce and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the legs near the bone reaches at least 165°.
- Remove from the grill, brush with more Buffalo Sauce, and serve hot with ranch, bleu cheese, and celery!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 956Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 656mgSodium: 1750mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 124g