Easy Beef and Bean Taco Rice Skillet is a great weeknight dinner that can be thrown together in under an hour.
Easy Beef and Bean Taco Rice Skillet
I am so in love with skillet meals right now, which is perfect because they seem to be blowing up the Pinterestsphere lately. What’s not to like though? Delicious food cooked in one skillet? ONE pan to clean? I’m sold.
This beef and bean taco rice skillet is a major favorite for me because it is SO easy to throw together. I got so excited to photograph (and eat!) this, that I completely forgot my former plans to completely cover this in cheese and then bake it. I guess that’ll be our dinner for tonight, but for lunch? I wasn’t even missing the cheese.
Its packed with flavor, filled with protein, and done in about 40 minutes. Done and done. Now we’ll see if I can get my kids to eat it despite the BEANS!
- 1 pound ground beef
- liberal amounts of salt and pepper
- 1.5 cups long grain white rice
- 2-3 teaspoons bacon grease, or oil
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups water
- 1 - 10 ounce can rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 - 15.5 ounce can black beans with onion, garlic, and chili
- Heaps of cheese - optional
- Brown ground beef that's been liberally seasoned with salt and pepper. Drain well, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, place the bacon grease and the white rice. Saute over medium heat until the rice is light golden brown.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water, rotel, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and salsa. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add black beans to pan, stir, and continue cooking for about 10-15 more minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- If necessary, add additional 1/2 cup of water in with the black beans if it looks like the rice needs it.
- Serve immediately with salsa, sour cream, avocados, and fresh cilantro. For extra indulgence, cover in mexican blend cheese, cover pan, and melt cheese over low heat.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 301 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 800mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 2g Protein: 20g
If you like this easy dinner idea, you’ll love these!