Cheesy Alfredo Chicken Rigatoni is a nice change from your typical pasta dish, and is totally kid-friendly. It is also something that can totally be thrown together from mostly leftovers, if you have those in your house. We usually don’t here, with the army of small boys that I’m feeding, but your milage may vary!
Cheesy Alfredo Chicken Rigatoni
I posted my alfredo recipe quite a while ago, back in the early days of the blog. As you can see, my photography skills were quite spectacular. I even dressed it up in a pretty paper bowl.
The photo may be lacking, but this basic recipe is definitely not.
Alfredo is amazingly simple, and so delicious. If you are looking for a little change-up from your typical fettuccine recipe, this Cheesy Alfredo Chicken Rigatoni is perfect!
With an entire pint of heavy cream it definitely isn’t an everyday meal, but we all need to indulge a little now and then. The salad and the sit-ups you’ll be doing in payment for this are totally worth it.
The key to a great baked pasta is to undercook the noodles by about 1/3 before you bake them so they maintain their texture and don’t get too soft and mushy.
Some dishes I even go for a parboil and half cook them, especially for things like lasagna. Its also important to choose the right noodle. High quality pasta that’s thick and has a longer cook time will hold up much better and hold up to the oven cook time.
- 6 tablespoons butter, salted
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2-3 cups parmigiano reggiano
- salt to taste
- 1 pound high-quality rigatoni - cooked just over halfway
- 2 cups mozzarella
- 2-3 cups lightly steamed broccoli
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add heavy cream. Keep heat on medium-low, stirring frequently, until lightly bubbling.
- Slowly add cheese while stirring. Turn heat down a bit and continue to cook until desired thickness is reached.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Boil your noodles until they are about 1/2 to 2/3 done, and then drain well. Place noodles, broccoli, and chicken into an oven-safe 9x13 casserole dish that's been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Pour sauce over the top, and top the whole thing with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake pasta for 30-40 minutes. If the cheese starts to brown, cover with tin foil and move casserole to a lower rack.
Rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken would be perfect in this!
Easy adapt this to your slow cooker by placing the ingredients into your crock pot instead the oven and cooking on high for 1-2 hours, or low for 3-4 hours.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 615 Total Fat: 43g Saturated Fat: 24g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 150mg Sodium: 1181mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 32g