Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup is a quick and easy dinner that your whole family is going to love!
Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
It is finally fall, and I’ve been pulling out the slow cooker quite a bit already. It is so easy to toss something together in the morning and have a hot meal ready by dinner. Not having to babysit the stove or oven is such a huge help to me.
I’ve been having more than my fair share of nights that dinner sneaks up on me. I’d love to be more organized and have a meal plan and KNOW what’s for dinner every night, but lately there just hasn’t been the time for it.
That’s why I LOVE these “toss ’em and forget ’em” types of dinners like this slow cooker vegetable beef soup. Meat + veggies + stock = some awesome soup that even the kids can dig into.
The key to really great slow cooking is to season well, and sear first. It takes a little more time than if you just pitch the meat right into your crockpot, but the flavor is so worth it.
Find some well-marbled stew meat, or if you find a good roast on sale you can always cut your own.
Season a little flour with salt and pepper, and then lightly toss the meat in the seasoned flour.
Quickly brown the meat in a tablespoon or so of oil in a pan over medium high heat.
Toss the browned meat into your slow cooker.
See all of these brown bits stuck to the bottom of your pan? Don’t sacrifice those to your dishwater! Deglaze your pan with 1/4 cup sherry or beef broth.
Now dump the pan juices into the crock pot along with 6 – 8 cups of beef broth. I always use water and then add enough Better Than Bouillon to make a rich broth. It’s the best thing next to making your own stock, in my experience, and it is super convenient.
After 4-6 hours of slow cooking on low, and about an hour before you want to eat, toss in a bunch of vegetables. I used carrots, green beans, & corn.
The last 20-25 minutes I threw in some pasta from the cupboard.
Word to the wise…ONLY put in as much pasta as you will eat in one night because the noodles do NOT hold up to leftovers. If I have some time to babysit the stove, a lot of times I will even cook the noodles on the stovetop and add them into individual bowls.
NEED SOME MORE IDEAS? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
- 1 pound stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- liberal amounts of salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry, optional
- 6-8 cups high quality beef broth or water plus Beef Better Than Bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 3-4 cups vegetables of your choice such as carrots, corn, peas, green beans, and onions.
- 1-2 cups dry pasta
- Mix together salt and pepper with flour. Toss in stew meat to lightly coat.
- Preheat pan over medium high heat and add oil. When oil is hot, add meat and quickly brown. Dump meat into the slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan with the sherry, pour results into crock pot.
- Pour beef broth into crock pot, add herbs, and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Add vegetables during the last hour of cooking time, and the pasta in the last 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 587 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 5635mg Carbohydrates: 64g Fiber: 15g Sugar: 12g Protein: 51g