When I first started making homemade enchiladas I used to use the store-bought corn tortillas. I would briefly fry them in oil, and proceed to make my enchiladas like I do now. It was okay, but there is something about the store-bought tortillas that just didn’t really compliment the rest of the dish. They ended up greasy, full of oil, and they fell apart after baking when I was serving the enchiladas. Not my favorite thing.
A friend turned me onto these homemade corn crepes, and I’ve never looked back. They are easy to make, stay together very well during baking, and perfectly compliment my homemade enchiladas.
Mix all the ingredients together besides the vegetable oil for frying.
Preheat a small non-stick pan with a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil. Pour in 1/4ish cup of batter (enough to coat the bottom of your pan, or make the desired size of crepe), and tilt the pan around to distribute the batter evenly.
Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the batter has set up. Carefully flip over and cook an additional 30 seconds. Remove and place on a paper towel.
Add additional oil as necessary. If your non-stick is in really good shape, you may not need much. Use for enchiladas or tacos!
- 2 Lg eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine all ingredients except the vegetable oil and mix well.
- Heat a small non-stick pan over medium heat with a couple of tsp of oil in it. When it is well heated, pour approximately 1/4-1/3 cup of the crepe batter into the pan and tilt to distribute. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the top looks solid. Flip over and cook 30 seconds on other side.
- Remove from pan onto a paper towel and repeat with the rest of the batter, adding additional oil when necessary.
- Use immediately for enchiladas, or your favorite mexican filling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 189mg Carbohydrates: 14g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g