Grilled Chicken Tacos are a quick and easy lunch or dinner that you can put together in a flash! Slow smoked in a delicious verde sauce right on the Traeger, these tacos shred nice and are perfect to make ahead of time for a tasty but quick dinner.
Grilled Chicken Tacos
Introducing a twist on classic grilled chicken tacos that will become your go-to recipe for summer cookouts. We start with chicken breasts, a staple ingredient that provides a blank canvas for bold flavors. Unlike traditional grilling methods, we are braising the chicken on a pellet grill. This technique locks in moisture and infuses the meat with all that amazing flavor in the sauce.
The secret to this dish is the sauce: a combination of verde salsa and beer. As the chicken braises, it soaks up the tangy, spicy, and malty flavors of the sauce. This creates a rich flavor profile that will make your taco night a smashing success!
Once braised, the chicken is easily shredded, offering tender chicken that goes wonderfully all the toppings you can throw at it. The final result? Tacos that deliver on both taste and texture.
So fire up your pellet grill and gather your ingredients. This is one recipe you won’t want to miss out on, whether you’re a taco novice or a seasoned pro.
Check out all of my Traeger Recipes!
Grilled Chicken Tacos shopping list
Wondering if you have to hit the store? Here’s the list of items you’ll need to make this recipe. For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Chicken breasts
- Spanglish Asadero Verde Rub
- Verde salsa
- Mexican beer (Corona or Modelo)
- Taco Toppings
Make my Homemade Salsa Verde too!
How to make Grilled Chicken Tacos
This is just the overview so you can see what you’re actually getting into here. When you are cooking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
Fire up the grill and let it preheat to 350°F.
Season the chicken breasts and place onto the grill. Cook 10 minutes each side. While it is grilling, add the verde salsa, beer, and onion to a large grill-safe pan. Put it on the grill to heat up while the chicken finishes cooking.
Put the chicken breasts into the braising liquid and let them braise for 30 minutes. Flip over in the pan and then let them continue to braise until the internal temperature reaches at least 165°F. They’ll shred better at 175°F.
How long it’ll take depend entirely on how thick your chicken breasts are.
Once the chicken breasts reach temp, remove from the liquid and shred with forks or claws. Put it back into the sauce.
Load up the shredded chicken into tortillas and top with your favorite taco fixings.
Try our Smoked Quesabirria Tacos!
More great recipes with a kick
These recipes are full of spice and not for the faint-hearted! If you like jalapeños, start cooking.
- Smoked Pickled Jalapeños
- Smoked Beef Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
- Smoked Cowboy Candy
- Traeger Armadillo Eggs Recipe
- Traeger Smoked Salsa
- Traeger Smoked Jalapeño Jack Juicy Lucy
- Jalapeño Popper Smoked Chicken Soup
- Smoked Hog-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers
- Easy Smoked Queso
- Traeger Spicy Corn Salsa Recipe
- Smoked Jalapeño Popper Cream Cheese
- Traeger Pulled Pork Tortilla Soup
- 5 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons Spanglish Verde Rub
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cups Mexican beer
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat the Traeger to 350°F.
- Season the chicken breasts with the verde rub and place onto the grill. Cook on each side for 10 minutes.
- In a grill-safe baking dish, add the chicken breast, onion, beer, and salsa verde.
- Place, uncovered, back onto the grill.
- Cook for 30 minutes, and flip the chicken breasts over in the sauce. Cook for another 15-30 minutes, or until the chicken is at least 165°F. Shredded the breasts will be easier closer to 175°F.
- Remove from the grill, shred with two forks, and put back into the sauce.
- Load up into your favorite tortillas and top with your favorite toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.
Nicole Johnson, a self-taught expert in grilling and outdoor cooking, launched Or Whatever You Do in 2010. Her blog, renowned for its comprehensive and creative outdoor cooking recipes, has garnered a vast audience of millions. Nicole's hands-on experience and passion for grilling shine through her work. Her husband, Jeremiah Johnson, also plays a pivotal role in recipe development, adding his culinary flair to the mix. Together, they form a dynamic duo, offering a rich and varied outdoor cooking experience to their followers.