This roasted broccoli casserole is a staple at our Thanksgiving and Christmas table. Make your own family tradition by whipping up a batch of this delicious side dish.
Roasted Broccoli Casserole
This is one of my favorite holiday and potluck side dishes. I make this for Easter. For Christmas. For Thanksgiving. Pretty much anytime I need to bring a side somewhere on an occasion where calorie counting is typically frowned upon. It is really easy to put together, and if you are even a passing fan of broccoli – you’ll love it.
Get the most flavor out of this dish by roasting the broccoli before you put the casserole together. Just drizzle it with some olive oil and a shake of salt and pepper in a 375 degree oven until the tops start to turn a bit brown. It took mine about 8-10 minutes.
Then you just put it in the baking dish and pour over the sauce you made, and top it with loads of your favorite cheeses. I used a cheddar jack mix.
I’m so loving my Gerber Wood Works board! The shot above was taken using the dark brown side of my new custom board. Very reasonably priced! Contact them on their Facebook page for a quote on your own custom board. (I’m not receiving anything for mentioning him, this is a local company and he’s been great to work with, and I love supporting local businesses!)
Want more holiday side dish ideas? I’ve got lots!
What are your favorite holiday dishes that you just can’t live without? I really miss buttercup squash. I used to have it every year, but it is so hard to find out here in Washington! Do you have a dish you just HAVE TO HAVE every Thanksgiving or Christmas?
- 5-6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 3-4 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 10-15 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375. Place broccoli on a large baking sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 7-10 minutes, or until broccoli is starting to get a little brown in small spots. You don't want it fully cooked, but you want some roasty flavor.
- Melt butter in a medium saute pan. Add onion, and saute over medium low heat for 4-5 minutes. Whisk in flour, and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add milk, dry mustard, garlic powder, and salt. Whisk to combine, and cook over medium-low heat until the mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Place broccoli in a large baking pan. Pour cheese sauce over the top. Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Combine butter and melted butter. Sprinkle over the cheese, and bake at 325 for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the broccoli is tender.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 631 Total Fat: 45g Saturated Fat: 24g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 119mg Sodium: 918mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 8g Protein: 31g