I love pancakes, especially buttermilk pancakes. I am VERY particular about what constitutes a good one. These freeze very well, so make a large batch and freeze between wax-paper sheets and then reheat in the microwave for a quick weekday breakfast! You can add blueberries, chocolate chips, or any number of add-ins to these. Begin by mixing together all the dry ingredients until they are well combined.
Now mix the wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the eggs are very well combined.
Add the wet to the dry and stir well.
*Note – DO NOT substitute homemade buttermilk (milk +lemon juice or vinegar) for the buttermilk in this recipe. It doesn’t work. At all. Homemade buttermilk is much thinner in consistency than real buttermilk, and it drastically affects the consistency of the batter. You’ve been warned!
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Stir to combine, and then pour in egg mixture. Stir until combined, but mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- Gently mix in melted butter, and cook immediately on a griddle or pan over medium heat flipping once so that both sides are browned.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 121mg Sodium: 1211mg Carbohydrates: 61g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 12g Protein: 14g
- 1 pint blueberries, washed and stemmed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Combine berries, 1/2 cup water, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and stir frequently until the mixture is reduced by half.
- Make corn starch slurry by mixing corn starch and 1 TBSP water until no lumps are left. Slowly drizzle into simmering syrup until desired consistency is reached. You may not need the entire amount.
- Remove from heat and serve with pancakes, ice cream, or cheesecake. Also great for mixing into yogurt, or blending into a milkshake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 2mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 22g Protein: 0g