These Strawberry Rhubarb Bars recipe comes straight from my awesome sister-in-law Jen’s kitchen, and right into yours. She’s been making this for years, and I can’t wait to share it with you today! The easy shortbread crust is topped with a simple filling mixture and then baked.
Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
The strawberry rhubarb combination is such a great one, I can’t get enough of it in the spring. We make a great Strawberry Rhubarb jam every year that doesn’t even make it through the summer most years. Something about homemade jam just makes my kids (and the adults in the house too) go a little jam-crazy.
What is funny though is that even though rhubarb has been a common ingredient that’s been readily available to me my whole entire life, I’ve never really had it outside of a jam.
We get together with the family almost every week for a giant family dinner that is regularly 17+ strong when it is all said and done. It is one of my favorite parts of the week, and we always find ways to try out new things and whip out some old favorites for feeding such a large crew.
How To Make Strawberry Rhubarb Bars With Cream Cheese
This recipe is unique because it is actually baked twice! First, you bake the crust, and then you bake the filling AND the crust. A few tips to make sure YOUR dessert is the best it can be:
- Make sure your cream cheese is room temperature! If you don’t, it’ll end up lumpy and no one likes that!
- Don’t over-bake the crust! Remember it is going to bake again.
- COOL the baked things completely before topping it with the cream cheese topping.
These bars are made with a shortbread crust, which is one of my very favorite things IN the world.
What Should I Serve With This Dessert?
I’d recommend these great Traeger Chicken Kabobs. If you aren’t a Traeger owner yet, not to fear! These can also be made on a regular grill.
If you are in the mood for something else, definitely check out my French Onion Stuffed Meatballs.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/2 cup sugar until blended. Pat into a prepared 9x13 pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes.
- Mix together the filling ingredients, and pour into crust. Bake for 40 minutes at 350. Remove from the oven, and let cool completely.
- Combine the powdered sugar, softened cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla. Spread over the fruit layer, and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 551 Saturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 134mg Sodium: 221mg Carbohydrates: 58g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 44g Protein: 11g