Are you in the mood for a little warm, cheesy spicy snack? This Homemade Queso is super simple to make and contains NO Velveeta! Don’t get me wrong, I love Velveeta and it’s perfect for melting, but once in a while I like to use a different kind of cheese or I don’t have a brick of Velveeta on hand, and in cases like those, I turn to a homemade queso.
Homemade Queso Recipe
Heat up this dip and serve with some warm tortillas and you have a nice little snack for yourself, or your kids or make a larger batch for a gathering or party or for drop in guests.
Or Whatever You Do participates in several different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Queso Ingredient List
With only 6 ingredients, this recipe is so easy and delicious you may want to make it a point to keep these ingredients around just so you can make it whenever you need a quick snack to serve.
- 4 ounce can of green chilies
- 1 can of Rotel (whatever version is your favorite)
- 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- Spiceology Taco Seasoning (or any variety you have on hand)
Secrets to great homemade queso
The key here is to heat your evaporated milk piping hot. This can be done on your stovetop or in the microwave. Just watch closely, you want your milk to be piping hot but not simmering.
Next, place your cheese in a bowl and pour the hot milk over it, allowing the hot milk to melt the cheese while stirring. This allows the cheese to melt smoothly. Once it’s smooth, then add your other ingredients, stir and serve!
If your cheese doesn’t melt, you can heat the mixture in the microwave in 15 second incriments. Proceed with caution! Cheese sauce can break just like chocolate can break. You don’t want to overheat it.
What can I serve with this dip?
The most popular choice of course is tortilla chips, which are my fave, but you can serve just about anything you like here.
- Warm tortilla chips
- Corn chips
- Cubed French bread or another type of dense bread that will hold up
- Plain or flavored flour or corn tortillas cut into wedges
- Any variety of veggies such as celery, carrots, peppers
- Go all out and serve with all the toppings, lettuce, diced tomato, guacamole, sour cream, you get the idea.
Try adding to pasta for a blast of flavor in a queso Mac n cheese.
Try with my Baked Chicken Taquitos, and dunk them right in.
As you can see, this dip is very versatile and a great staple to have on hand for almost any occasion.
A perfect option for movie night or game night at home!
How do I store queso dip?
You can store this dip in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 3-5 days. Having no meat in the ingredients means it will last a little longer than varieties with meat.
How do I reheat queso dip?
Queso dip is best reheated either in the oven, a small crock pot, or in the microwave. The key is a slow reheat, and plenty of stirring, so go low-and-slow and whisk it good!
Pin For Later!
- 1 can Rotel (whatever flavor is your favorite)
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- Mix together the corn starch and evaporated milk until fully combined and no lump remains. Heat the evaporated milk mixture in the microwave for approximately 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until it is piping hot. Watch closely! Microwave times vary. If you don't have a microwave you can heat it on the stove over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it is piping hot but not simmering.
- Place the cheese into a glass or pyrex (microwave safe) bowl, and carefully pour the hot evaporated milk over the cheese and stir until melted.
- Place the cheese mixture back into the microwave, and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until thickened.
- Stir in the Rotel and serve hot!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 352mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.