Beefy Tamale pie is a delicious way to change up your taco night! All the tamale flavor without the extra tamale work. This is a from-scratch recipe, but feel free to use some shortcuts if you are short on time.
Beef Tamale Pie
Inspiration for this dish came directly from this AMAZING Chicken Tamale Pie from Pinch Of Yum, and this Beef Tamale Pie from 2 Teaspoons. I came across these on Pinterest and knew immediately I had to make it. Or a cross between the two. The tamale recipe itself was made exactly like the 2 Teaspoons version, and I wouldn’t change a thing. It was PERFECT.
You need more pie in your life. I’ve got some for you.
The green chiles and corn in the tamale was an incredible addition to the pie. They added a ton of flavor and the corn was great texture in the pie.
Bake the tamale base in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until it is set.
Then poke some holes in it, and top it with some enchilada sauce.
Top that with the meat.
Top with some more enchilada sauce, and then go CRAZY with some cheese.
Like seriously crazy amounts of cheese. Bake it in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, and then remove and let sit for 10 minutes.
Cut into slices, and serve with your favorite garnish!
Seriously awesome. Like, spectacularly amazing. Let this inspire you to create your own variations! Want more heat? Spice it up! Love spice? Add jalapenos instead of green chiles to the mix.
Ground Beef Mixture
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoons dried onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Chile Lime Spiceology seasoning mix, this can be omitted and more taco seasoning added if you don't have any yet.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup P.A.N. cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 small can diced chiles - drained
- 1 can corn - drained
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 batch of OWYD Enchilada Sauce
- 2 - 3 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Drizzle in the avocado oil, and stir until the mixture is crumbly. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk and egg until combined. Stir into the cornmeal mixture, along with the chiles and corn. Prepare a pie pan with cooking spray, and spread the tamale base in. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until set.
- While the tamale base is baking, brown your ground beef over medium heat. Drain the excess fat, and add in all the seasonings, water, and tomato paste. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tamale base from the oven, and top with a layer of enchilada sauce. Spread the ground beef mixture on top of the tamale base, add more enchilada sauce, and then copious amounts of cheese.
- Bake again at 350 for about 35-40 minutes, and serve hot with all the garnishes your little heart desires.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 822 Total Fat: 54g Saturated Fat: 24g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 191mg Sodium: 1444mg Carbohydrates: 35g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 49g