Garlic Steamed Clams are one of my very favorite ways to eat these sweet little sea treats.
Want to know something really really weird?
I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest for 9 years now (minus the two that we spent in Michigan), and have never gone and dug clams.
We live in one of the richest areas in the world for fresh seafood, and I LOVE fresh seafood, yet I’ve never gone and harvested my very own clams.
I NEED to remedy that, and be sure that when I do – you guys will hear all about it. I’ve got a really great clam linguine in mind, or maybe my mother-in-law’s famous clam chowder recipe that is just clamoring for publication here on my little corner of the internet.
Even if you can’t actually go out and dig your own clams, if you can get your hands on fresh clams then by all means – DO IT! My husband stopped by a local market last night and picked up these, and made me my own little pre-Mother’s Day clamstravaganza for us.
I’ll be real here – clams are not the most attractive food there ever was. But oh man. If you like shellfish, there isn’t much that will beat the flavor of a freshly harvested clam in this awesome steaming liquid. I used some really great Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil that one of my favorite aunts sent to me to try out from WildTree.
Want some pasta to go with these clams? I’ve got you covered!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons roasted garlic grapeseed oil (optional, but adds a lot of flavor!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon old bay garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- Bring everything minus the clams to a boil in a medium size pot, then add the clams and cover. Steam clams for 10 minutes. Throw away any unopened clams. Serve hot with some crusty bread to soak up the juices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 747mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g