Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potato Casserole
Easter is coming up, and I don’t know about you, but we ALWAYS have a ton of leftover ham. Not that I’m complaining because ham is hamazing, but eventually got have to start repurposing it into some other meals.
This Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potato Casserole has been one of my very favorites. Creamy white sauce is poured over layers of thinly sliced potatoes and ham, and then topped with cheese. It is like a ham and cheese lasagna.
I like the ham sliced nice and thin and layered in with the potatoes. If you wanted to save time you could use bagged frozen hashbrowns for this and cubed ham. You would lose the layered effect, but the end result would be largely the same.
We served this with a big pile of steamed broccoli and some fresh bread.
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 4 cups sliced ham
- 5 medium yellow potatoes, thinly sliced
- Melt butter. Add flour and whisk in until lumps are gone. Continue stirring frequently while cooking over low heat until golden brown. Add milk and seasonings. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Peel and slice potatoes into thin, even ovals. Prepare a 10x13 inch baking dish with baking spray. Layer potatoes, sauce, ham, and cheese. Repeat, and end the casserole with a layer of potatoes and cheese on top.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour, or until potaotes are tender and everything is melted and delicious. If the top starts to get too browned, cover loosely with tin foil.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 316 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 72mg Sodium: 732mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 18g