Empanadas are one of my favorite types of hand pies, and these Greek ground beef empanadas are a unique take on a traditional meal. Use puff pastry as a shortcut. and get cooking!
Easy dinners are my jam these days. With a full work schedule, and a really full house – I just don’t have time to do anything else. 5pm also seems to be the time of the day that the toddlers decide it is “stand at the gate and scream for mom” hour, so the faster I can get dinner done, the better.
My kids, surprisingly enough, all fall on the slightly picky side. Shocking, right? It is easy to get discouraged about dinner because no matter what, someone is faced with a plate of food that they don’t like – and I don’t do separate dinners around here. Nope.
So I try and be accommodating, while also letting them experience other flavors. This is a great way to do that. Great big flavors like olives and feta are featured here, but packaged in a flaky pastry crust and a familiar ground beef flavor and texture that they all already know and love.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Spiceologist Greek Freak Seasoning Rub
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup of chopped olives – we used a mix of black olives and kalamata
- 1 package frozen puff pastry – thawed according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon egg beaten with 1 water
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place ground beef, onion, garlic, and seasonings in a large frying pan and brown well. After the meat is browned, remove from pan and mix in the olives and feta.
- Unfold your puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface, and roll out slightly to enlarge. Cut 3-4? circles out of the sheet, and place a few heaping tablespoons on one side. Brush one half lightly with the egg wash, and fold over and pinch shut. Repeat with the remaining filling and pastry circles. Crimp edges completely shut with a fork. Brush lightly with egg wash.
- Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed.
Need more ideas of things to make with Ground Beef? Check out this awesome ground beef round-up!