This perfect pizza dough makes homemade pizza is incredibly good. It takes about two hours to make, but the end result is so worth it. Not only is it delicious right out of your own oven, but it’s also a fraction of the cost of take-out or delivery!
Perfect Pizza Dough
Homemade pizza dough that turns into a crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside slice of pizza heaven is not only doable in your own kitchen, but it is also pretty easy too.
Do you need a stand mixer to make this pizza dough?
You don’t need a mixer, but it sure is nice to have one! It’ll cut the active kneading time down but a large amount to have a machine doing that kneading for you. If you are kneading by hand, just make sure to work the dough for about 15-20 minutes. It is almost impossible to over-knead by hand!
What kind of topping is best on homemade pizza?
We like a variety of toppings. My husband and I usually go for a seasoned ground beef and mushroom mixture. The kids like cheese and pepperoni. Sometimes I will get adventurous and buy Canadian bacon and pineapple for a little Hawaiian pizza! Other times, white sauce pizza with chicken and spinach is also a nice change.
What kind of sauce should I use?
There are a LOT of jarred pizza sauces that are pretty awesome. My favorite prepared variety is Ragu’s original version (NOT Pizza Quick). I also have a great recipe for homemade pizza sauce too.
What kind of pizza pan is best for homemade pizza dough?
I recently bought a pizza pan with holes in the bottom. It consistently produces the best crust.
I have a pizza stone as well, and even that doesn’t make a crispy and chewy crust like this one! I love the pizza stone for my grilled pizza, but for the oven, a pan with holes is the best in my experience!
Don’t forget to poke the top with a fork to prevent bubbles from coming up in the dough.
What Else Can I Make With This Pizza Crust?
This recipe makes 3-4 pizza crusts, depending on how thick and how large your pizzas are. It feeds our family of 9 with some leftovers, so adjust accordingly. The dough can be frozen either in raw form or par-baked.
- 4 cups warm water
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 4 teaspoons red, pink, or kosher salt
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 9-11 cups bread flour
- Place the water, salt, yeast, and honey into your mixer with the dough hook attached. Mix about 30 seconds.
- Turn the mixer on medium speed and begin adding flour until a soft dough is formed that cleans the side of the mixer. Mix for 4 minutes after the sides are cleaned.
- Turn mixer to low and drizzle in the olive oil and mix until it is kneaded into the dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Take a large handful of dough and press and gently onto a large pizza pan. Par bake for 5 minutes at 450°. Remove from the oven and top with sauce and desired toppings.
- Bake an additional 10-12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 875 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 76mg Carbohydrates: 309g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 2g Protein: 51g