This refreshing lemonade features a secret ingredient! Can you guess what it is?
Okay – so not quite summer, but ALMOST SUMMER!!!
The countdown is on right now until the end of school (ONE month and counting!) so I’m starting to plan out our summer menus and treats. This lemonade is perfect!
It’s sweet, full of lemon flavor thanks to my SECRET (okay – not totally secret) ingredient, and tastes just like summer. I’m sure the kids are going to be clamoring to set up a lemonade stand this year, and this one will definitely be on the menu.
Start with 6 fresh lemons. Wash them, and zest all of them. After the lemons are zested, juice them through a fine mesh strainer to keep the seeds out, and set aside.
Put them lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and sugar into a medium-sized saucepan. Bring the mixture into a low simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Strain the mixture back through a fine mesh strainer to remove the zest and let cool. Mix 2 parts water with 1 part lemon simple syrup and pour over ice. Makes approximately one quart or lemon simple syrup.
If you want an adult version of this – some white rum was really fantastic in it!
For more awesome cocktail recipes, see these posts!
- 6 lemons washed - zested, and juiced
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 part lemon simple syrup
- 2 parts water
- raspberries or strawberries for garnish
- Simmer lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and sugar over medium to medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer, and let cool.
- Mix 2 parts water to 1 part lemon simple syrup, and serve over ice.