Sesame Vegetables with Rice Noodles is one of my favorite Asian-inspired meals. The homemade chili garlic sauce is one of the most popular recipes on my blog!
Sesame Vegetables with Rice Noodles
It is officially getting cooler outside, and its time to whip up some warm, satisfying meals. These types of dishes are sometimes the only way I can get my kids to try different kinds of vegetables, so I like to pack as many different kinds in as I can.
These sesame vegetable with rice noodles are a great way to use up the produce in your fridge that needs to get going. Carrots, sugar snap peas, cabbage, onions, shiitake, and broccoli are what I had around. Feel free to add or subtract! Some bell peppers would be fantastic in this dish. This is a “pick your own protein” dish too. You can use diced chicken, shrimp, scallops, or tofu. Just stir fry quickly after the vegetables are done, and then mix into the noodles. I used some leftover pork mixture I had from when I made these Fried Sesame Pork Dumplings.
This recipe uses my basic Spicy Chili Garlic Stir Fry Sauce. That’s really my go-to brown sauce recipe when I want to break out the wok. If you don’t like it spicy, feel free to leave out the spicy elements. Still makes a great stir fry sauce!
Get your wok good and hot before you stir fry. What makes this, and all of my stir fries special, is that I use a few drops of sesame oil in with the canola oil when I’m cooking any of it. I love that toasty sesame flavor, and it really make it taste more like take-out.
Stir fry in small batches, and let the wok get good and hot between batches.
Follow the package directions on your rice noodles. Mine instructed me to soak in hot water before stir frying. Yours may tell you to do differently!
After the noodles have stir fried for a minute, add back in all the meats and veggies, toss to mix, and pour the stir fry sauce over the top. Let it bubble for a minute to thicken, and then stir constantly (but gently) until it is fully thickened.
Easy Asian-inspired dish that is WAY less mess than rice if you have kids around the house.
- 4-5 cups sliced vegetables of your choice
- 1 package rice noodles prepared according to package directions
- 2 cups protein of your choice
- 3-4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil divided
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Prepare your noodles according to package directions. Drain well, and set aside.
- Preheat a couple teaspoons of oil and a few drops of sesame oil in your wok over high heat. Quickly stir fry veggies in batches until crisp tender.
- Adding small amounts of oil and sesame oil as necessary, stir fry protein in small batches, letting your wok reheat between batches.
- Add noodles and stir fry briefly.
In a separate dish, mix together all of the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Add veggies and protein into the hot wok and toss to combine. Add stir fry sauce, and let bubble briefly, then toss and continue cooking until thickened.
- Remove to a large platter, garnish with sesame seeds, and serve hot!