Quick and easy comfort food filled with vegetables! Have it for soup one night, and turn it into an awesome casserole the next by mixing with noodles, more cheese, and some rotisserie chicken.
Cheesy Vegetable Soup
Here’s another addition to my INSANELY QUICK AND EASY dinners. And as an added bonus? This one is FULL of vegetables. You can call this “clean out the fridge” soup if you’d like, because that’s what it ends up being here. Sometimes I just buy more produce than I can reasonably use before it goes bad, and though the chickens LOVE it when that happens – I don’t particularly like throwing out food I paid a pretty penny for.
I LOVE how easy this is. Put some water in a stock pot, bring to a boil. Chop up ALL the veggies. Whatever you have, toss it in. In this batch there was broccoli, green beans, carrots, potatoes, celery, & zucchini. I wouldn’t hesitate to toss in onion, mushrooms, cabbage, asparagus, peas, or whatever else I had laying around.
You can toss some herbs in with this also if you have them laying around. I like using thyme and a little sage. Once the vegetables are tender, toss them into your blender (carefully!!!).
Now, blend! Ever wonder what blending REALLY looks like? Check out this little slo-mo video I made!
While the soup is out of the blender, toss a stick of butter in the pot. Whisk in 1/4 cup of flour, and reduce heat to low. Pour in the blended veggies, and stir to combine. Add in the cream, heat through and stir in cheese. Serve with crusty bread!
- 6-8 cups water
- 4 cups chopped vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
- Place water, vegetables, thyme, sage, and salt into a medium stock pot. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Place the vegetables and stock into a blender, and blend until completely pureed.
- Melt a stick of butter in your now empty stock pot, and whisk in the 1/4 cup flour. Heat over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Put the pureed vegetables back into the pot, and mix until combined. Add cream, and heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 520 Total Fat: 42g Saturated Fat: 26g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 123mg Sodium: 849mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 5g Protein: 14g