I really like a good taco, but I completely adore a GREAT one. These spicy carnitas tacos definitely fit into my “great” category. Slow cooked in the crock pot, and then finished on the stove-top for that crispy, street-taco flavor.
Spicy Carnitas in the slow cooker
Do you guys shop at any of the big bulk stores? Costco, Sam’s Club, etc? We do, and I LOVE it. Not everything is the best deal there, but I love getting a lot of my meats there. Especially their pork sirloin roasts. They come in 4 packs at Costco and are so handy for dinners. We use them for pork roasts, bbq pork sandwiches, and these awesome spicy carnitas.
Slow cooker carnitas are one of the easiest and best meals you can make. Pork comes out SO tender and juicy when you cook it this way, and then it is just a quick shred, some toppings, and you are DONE with dinner.
- 3 pounds pork sirloin roast
liberal amounts of...
- garlic salt
- onion powder
Seasonings and cooking sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small can El Pato Green label jalapeno tomato salsa
- 1 small can El Pato Yellow label tomato salsa
- 1 cup water
- Place all ingredients into a large crock pot, cover, and set on low. Cook for 6-7 hours (this highly depends on your particular crock pot. Check starting after 5ish hours and check hourly after that), and shred when fork tender.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat with a small amount of oil (or lard if you have it!). Place a portion of the carnitas into the hot skillet, and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it crisps a bit. Serve with corn tortillas, cilantro, and your favorite fixings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 51g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate. If you are tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!
Need more dinspiration? I have it here!