Rainier Cherry Pastry is a perfect way to use up those in-season cherries! If you’ve never tried Rainiers – get thee to the store RIGHT NOW because they won’t be around long. They are my FAVORITE fruit, and a big reason why I LOVE the Pacific Northwest. This dessert is super easy. The hardest part is pitting the cherries, and if you have a tool to do that it is a breeze.
Rainier Cherry Pastry
This recipe is sandwiched on either side of a generous portion of vanilla ice cream. I didn’t make this batch, because I don’t have an ice cream maker! Can you believe it? I’ve been hunting for one for several summers now, but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
This pastry ends up really juicy. You are going to want to scoop all of that up and spoon it over your ice cream.
The pastry in this is frozen puff pastry – so super easy to roll out and put together.
The rainier cherries really sing here, and are the star of the show.
Pop it in the oven at 400 and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
More cherry recipes for you right here!
Serve with ice cream, and don’t forget to cut it on something with sides, because the juice will run off the cutting board – for sure!
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 3 cups rainier cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon egg + 1 water, mixed well
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. While pastry is thawing, wash, pit, and half all of your cherries. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla with the cherries.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out puff pastry sheet slightly on lightly floured surface. Sprinkle half of the sugar over half of the dough, leaving 1/2 inch on the edges for sealing. Place cherries on top of the sugar, and top with the rest of that sugar. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash, and fold over to seal. Fold edges up and over and lightly press down. Lightly brush the top of the sealed pastry with egg wash, and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 18mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 30g Protein: 1g