Slow Cooker Chicken Divan is affectionately referred to in this house as, “broccoli noodles”. It is one of the only ways I can get all the kids to eat their vegetables, and I’ll take any opportunity I can get.
Slow Cooker Chicken Divan
Chicken Divan has been one of my very favorite meals for as long as I can remember. My mom used to make the best version, and it was one of the first things I really wanted to recreate when I started cooking.
This slow cooker chicken divan is perfect to make on a day when you are home to babysit it a bit, but don’t want to stand over the stove. You can have the cream of broccoli soup for lunch, and chicken divan for dinner! I’ve wanted to start developing some more slow cooker meals because I LOVE my slow cooker, and I’m also involved in a pretty awesome Crazy for Crock Pots Recipe Group over on Facebook with some very cool ladies who have been inspiring me and encouraging me to GET cRockin’!
Start by melting your butter in the slow cooker and whisking in the flour.
Cook it for about 5 minutes, whisking frequently, and then add in the water, bouillon, garlic salt, onion powder, and frozen broccoli.
Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours, or on high heat for 2-3, stirring occasionally. As soon as the broccoli is cooked through and the soup has thickened a bit you have yourself a very legit cream of broccoli soup. I had a bowl with some cheese and crusty bread. You could totally stop right here and make this dinner and no one would complain.
NEED SOME MORE IDEAS? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
But if you have some people in your house who don’t consider it dinner unless there is some major meat and starch involved, press on soldier. This is going to turn into dinner tonight.
After the chicken and noodles are cooked, stir in some cheese and toss on the ritz and some more cheese.
Cover it and let the cheese get nice and melty, and serve with some salad and crusty bread. Mmmmmmmm…..
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken better than bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound frozen broccoli
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound high quality pasta
- 1/2 sleeve ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- Turn slow cooker onto high heat and melt butter. Whisk in flour and let cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in water, garlic salt, onion powder, and frozen broccoli. Let cook on medium heat for 2-3 hours on high, or 4-5 hours on low, stirring occasionally. Stir in heavy cream.
- Add the chicken, and cook for an hour. Test chicken for doneness, and add pasta during last 20 minutes of cooking time. Stir in 2 cups cheese until melty. Mix up crushed ritz and remaining half cup of cheese, and sprinkle over the top. Heat until the cheese is melted.
Adjust cooking times according to your specific slow cooker.
Test chicken doneness by cutting a piece in half and if there is no pink its done!
Use rotisserie chicken for easier prep. Add in at the very end with the pasta.
Low quality pasta or egg noodles will take much less time to cook than high quality pasta.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 421 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 423mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 20g