Broccoli Cheese Orzo is a great way to get your kids to eat those vegetables! This simple side dish is going to get requested over and over again!
Broccoli Cheese Orzo
I am in love with orzo lately. LOVE LOVE. It is so easy to make, and the texture is perfect for quick side dishes and salads. Broccoli orzo combines both your vegetable portion AND your grain, and it is about as kid-friendly as side dishes come. Made with real, whole ingredients, you don’t have to feel guilty about feeding your kids something they will actually like.
Adjust the cheese to your kid’s tastes. A milder cheese like mozzarella or colby would be fabulous. If your kids like a kick to their cheeses, use some medium cheddar or parmesan. Experiment with combinations to find your favorite!
This broccoli cheese orzo is also a perfect side dish for your summer bbq’s and potlucks. It would be perfect held warm in a crockpot, and the orzo does a pretty good job of holding its texture without getting too mushy or overcooked. The amount adjusts really easily to suit your specific needs. Need enough for 2? 1 cup of uncooked orzo should be perfect. Enough for 6? 3 cups. You get the picture.
Need more amazing side dishes in your life? Look no further.
- 1.5 cups dry orzo pasta
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2-1 cup 2% or higher milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1.5 cups cheese, cheddar, colby jack, mozzarella, parmesan, etc
- 1 cup broccoli, fresh or frozen
- salt to taste
- Boil pasta until it is about 1 minute from being done to your liking. Drain, and return to pot.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Return to stove over low heat, add 1/2 cup cream, and enough milk to cover pasta. Add dry mustard, and broccoli. Heat over low heat until pasta is done to your liking. Stir in cheese until fully melted and incorporated. Salt to taste.
- If sauce is too thick, add small amounts of milk while over low heat, stirring frequently until the desired consistency is reached.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 60mg Sodium: 342mg Carbohydrates: 36g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 15g