These chocolate crinkle cookies were a hit in my house! They may have been the favorite, out of the 12 different kinds of Christmas cookies I made over a 3 day period that shall be known forever as “Cookiepalooza 2012”. I didn’t do much else over those few days besides mix, wash, and bake, but it was worth it!
These are moist, and tender, and chocolaty. They did not last long with the kids. I don’t know how they fared with the people that I passed them out to, but none came back home with my husband so they must not have done too bad among the worker sect anyway. I will have to poll my band-mates for a favorite.
Start by chopping up your unsweetened chocolate.
Heat a small saucepan with about 1/2 inch of water in it over medium heat. Place a bowl over the top, and melt your chocolate and butter in this.
Set it aside to cool a bit, and mix up your eggs, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until the mixture is lightened in color and thick. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
With the mixer on low, slowly beat in the chocolate/butter mixture until well blended.
Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix on low until fully combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chilll for about 2 hours, or until firm. The dough should be very cold.
After it is fully chilled, roll dough into small balls approximately 1 inch in diameter. Roll these balls in powdered sugar, covering well, and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Leave about 2-3 inches between cookies to allow room for them to spread in the oven while baking.
Bake at 350 until they are puffed and slightly firm to the touch. Do not over bake. They will look slightly underdone in the middle, but finish baking a firm up while they cool.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup butter cut up into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- small pinch of salt
- 4 eggs large
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips semi-sweet
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Chop up the unsweetened chocolate and place it and the butter into your double boiler. Melt, stirring frequently, and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until the mixture is lightened in color and slightly thickened. Add the cooled chocolate and mix until combined. Add the dry mixture, mix on low for 2 minutes. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours. The dough should be COLD. Roll into small balls and then coat in powdered sugar. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 until the edges are slightly firm to the touch. The middles will look slightly underdone. In my oven, this took about 11 minutes. Your may take a few minutes less or more. Leave the cookies on the sheet for 2 minutes after removal from the oven, and then carefully transfer to cooling racks.