What is better than a made-from-scratch, fresh, slightly warm cake? Not much in my book. Marble, for me, is the very best of both of the cake worlds. Chocolate, yellow, yum. It has always been, and probably always will be, my favorite cake. This marble cake with chocolate buttercream will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1.5 TBSP vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup ovaltine
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 sticks butter, unsalted
- 6 TBSP half and half
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place dry ingredients into a mixer and combine.
- Add milk and oil, butter, and vanilla into the mixer and mix for 2 minutes on medium.
- Add eggs, and mix and additional 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Remove 1 cup of the batter and mix well with the ovaltine and cocoa powder.
- Place a round of parchment or wax paper into two 9 inch cake pans. Spray with baking spray. Place half of the yellow cake batter into the two pans and spread out.
- Spoon chocolate cake batter into the pans and swirl with a butter knife.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, and then remove carefully from the pans and let cool the rest of the way.
- After the cakes are completely cooked, level one side with a long serrated bread knife.
- Melt the chocolate chips over a double boiler, or by placing in a glass bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds on half power. Continue heating in 15 second intervals on half power until melted.
- Place all of the frosting ingredients into a food processor, and process until fully combined.
- Place four small strips of parchment or wax paper on your serving tray and put one layer of the cake on the tray. Frost the top of the layer and place the second layer on top. Frost the top and sides of the cake and carefully pull the wax paper out from under the cake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 823 Total Fat: 44g Saturated Fat: 26g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 132mg Sodium: 442mg Carbohydrates: 106g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 82g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g